Computer will not start

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to get an EMachines model T2596 running.
Intel Celeron 2.5G, 400 Mhz bus
Intel 845GV chipset
256 Mb DDR SDRAM. 266 MHz, PC2100
60 GB standard HD
The motherboard is a mini ATX.
Enuff

~The machine would not start when start button was pressed.
~Checked start button for continuity when "on"...checked out fine.
~Removed battery for several minutes, checked it for voltage...3.2 volts.
~Tested PSU with ATX power supply tester...PSU does not work.
~Purchased and installed eXtreme Power 430 W Power supply.

This power supply starts up when plugged into the computer molex connector, however, nothing else happens. No fans, no hard drive activity, Nothing on the monitor. I don't understand why the PSU starts up, since I have not pushed the start button. It doesn't appear that the POST happens, nor does the BIOS get invoked.

I suspect the motherboard
Any ideas?
Any suggestions for a replacement MB?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

ANOTHER E-MACHINE user with issues! (like the 50th one) you get what you pay for.

can you return the computer?

Not much help

The two replies are not much help.
I agree that one should not buy cheap computer equipment. This one was purchased by a corporation and I am trying to fix it for them.

How about some technical input?

some psu will run its fans (also case fans if it has a line for them) and lights for a bit without turning on the system, and may stay on after teh system powers down (for a minute or so) to cool off the pc completely...

does the pc turn on ok otherwise by pressing the power button?

dont mind tedster.. he's probably about to start pulling his hair out.. just search this forum for "e-machines" and you'll see his delema :p

Have you removed all cards (but for video) and taken the memory chips down to one (if you have two) or swapped them out? While I'm thinking about it, do you get any beep codes if you totally remove the memory?

There is no life in this computer

Pressing the power button accomplishes nothing. I checked it with a continuity tester, and it works.

There is no activity inside this computer case other than the PSU that starts up when I plug the molex connector in to the MB.

I put a POST code reporting card in one of the PCI slots. There is voltage present on the MB (+ and - 12V, 3.3V, 5V), however the clock is dead. The battery checks out at 3.2V.

N3051M said:
some psu will run its fans (also case fans if it has a line for them) and lights for a bit without turning on the system, and may stay on after teh system powers down (for a minute or so) to cool off the pc completely...

does the pc turn on ok otherwise by pressing the power button?

No beep codes, no nothin'

This computer has on board audio and video and no PCI cards.
There is only one memory card: DDR SDRAM PC2100. I moved it to the second slot without any different results. There are no beep codes, since the POST never starts.

I am suspecting either the MB or the CPU.

Masque said:
Have you removed all cards (but for video) and taken the memory chips down to one (if you have two) or swapped them out? While I'm thinking about it, do you get any beep codes if you totally remove the memory?

well we know theres power but whether its going through to the mobo or not is another question... i'm pretty sure you've might have done this but double check your power cables, especialy if your mobo uses an additional seperate squarish 4 pin connector from the psu.. also is there no lights on the mobo (if it has one?)?

unfortunatly.. at this stage the only way to test if the mobo/cpu's fried is to replace it... i'd rekon start with the mobo.. its cheaper (usualy)

good luck :)

EDIT: i just forgot somethign.. have you checked the mobo for any signs/smells of physical damage like popped/wierd looking capacitors, scorch marks, discolouring on the circuit board etc?

I think the MB is fried

Actually, there is power to the MB, since my POST code detecting PC card is reporting voltage, but no clock.

I have checked the power cables several times. I also have removed and replaced the PSU.

This MB has no extras. But, as I mentioned above, there is voltage to the MB.

The MB looks very unremarkable. No evidence of damage.

I have assumed that this MB is beyond help and am going to put what's left of the EMachines computer in my treasure trove of spare parts. That's because I cobbled together parts from another computer and the EMachines computer to end up with something that works.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Very much appreciated.

N3051M said:
well we know theres power but whether its going through to the mobo or not is another question... i'm pretty sure you've might have done this but double check your power cables, especialy if your mobo uses an additional seperate squarish 4 pin connector from the psu.. also is there no lights on the mobo (if it has one?)?

unfortunatly.. at this stage the only way to test if the mobo/cpu's fried is to replace it... i'd rekon start with the mobo.. its cheaper (usualy)

good luck :)

EDIT: i just forgot somethign.. have you checked the mobo for any signs/smells of physical damage like popped/wierd looking capacitors, scorch marks, discolouring on the circuit board etc?

My advice, if this computer I have cobbled together breaks, is to let me build one out of mainstream quality components. For now, they think that not spending any money is the solution. So they have a computer that runs...at 333 MHz. No problem for me. And bird-dogging the problem was kinda fun!!

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
i've got the perfect solution: tell them to buy a new computer that actually has some quality and work put into it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back