Computer will not turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm having some trouble with my computer. I know this has been posted before, but my computer will not turn on. Well, it will for a split second, then it justs shuts back off. I know its not the PSU, because after the computer messed up, I bought a new one, but it still did not work after that, it did the same thing, turn on for a second, then shut back down. Could it be a motherboard issue?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

We need some more info before we can help you.

Go HERE and read my post.

Obviously changing the psu hasn`t helped. When did the problem first start? Had you installed any new hardware/software just before the problem occured?

Please let us know.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

if you have another crap computer or another computer that can protect from bad psu's i would suggest trying your psu on that to see if it is the psu even though you say it isnt. even new ones can be bad remember about how much hardware is out there also how big is the psu? could it be that it is too small for what you are trying to boot up. how much hardware do you have in your computer. also i think i said this before but check the jumpers on your motherboard to make sure they are set right especially the cmos.

Motherboard make and model: Soyo K7VME

CPU make and model: AMD XP1500

Hard drive make model and capacity: Maxtor 120 Gigs

How much Ram(memory) you have: 256 DDR DIMM RAM

Graphic Card: Nvidea GForce FX 5200

Sound: Built in to Mother board

I was re-formatting thehard drive when it happened. I had left the room for a second while re-formatting and when i came back, it was not on. I tryed turnign it on multiple times, and the lights would only come on for a bried second. I spoke with someone else, and they had told me it was most likey my PSU. When I went out for a psu, I bought the proper one, and it was 350 watts, 100 more watts than my old one. Yet after installing the PSU, and checking the wiring, it still did not work. Is that enough info?

you may want to make sure that its not the hard drive or that anything got changed in the bios when reformatting. if you dont know how to do that let me know and ill tell you

trying the psu in another computer is a good idea. If you don't have access to one, do you have a multimeter? Use it to check the output voltages of the psu. Works for me.

Alright, So i checked my PSU, it is in fine, working condition. Also, I used another computer and fully re-formatted my hard drive (since I was in the middle of re-formatting when the problem occured). I still am getting the same result, and I have double-checked all of my wiring as well.

it sounds like a hdd problem although i cant be for certain. if you have like a smaller unformatted hdd you might try to throw that in and see if that fixes anything. it doesnt sound like the bios becuase it happened to two computers not just one

Remove all power cord connections to all components. Turn the power back on. If the fan on the power supply comes on the problem is probably with something you disconnected. Turn the power back off.

Reconnect the power cord to the drives. If the power comes on the problem is not with the drives. If power doesn't come on try one drive at a time until you identify the drive with the short.

If the drives are not the problem, suspect the motherboard subsystem. With the power off, reconnect all power cords to the drives. Remove power to the Mobo by disconnecting P1 or P8 and P9. Turn the power back on.

If the fan comes back on the problem is probably with one of the components powered by power cords to the Mobo. The power to the Mobo also powers interface cards. Turn off the power.

Remove all interface cards and reconnect pulgs to the Mobo. Turn the power on. If the fan still works, the problem is with one of the interface cards. If the fan doesn't work, the problem is with the Mobo or something still connected to it.
Good Luck

ChibiJer20 said:
Hello, I'm having some trouble with my computer. I know this has been posted before, but my computer will not turn on. Well, it will for a split second, then it justs shuts back off. I know its not the PSU, because after the computer messed up, I bought a new one, but it still did not work after that, it did the same thing, turn on for a second, then shut back down. Could it be a motherboard issue?

I have seen this happen a few times where the battery that keeps the Bios ticking over dies or just is very low. Check the battery. If it is not putting out 3 volts then change it. You may have to reset the bios by using the jumper that is made for this our just leave the battery out about 30 min. There is a small capacitor that keeps things going when the battery is being replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back