Computer wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Intel board 800Fsb P4 2.4Ghz processor Windows xp geforce 4 ti4200 128MB video card DDR 400 512MB of Duel Channel Ram.

I recently got a virus that came up as it was adaware/spyware and spyfalcon kept trying to install. It completly messed my system up. I ran spybot and cleared everything out that it found. Ran norton and cleaned all that up. The icon on the toolbar went away saying I had a virus but my IE homepage was something saying I had a virus that someone could control my c drive and some stuff on it. Normally I pay attention to this stuff but I figured I cleaned it all out and that page was there from when I had first got it. I changed my homepage and everything seemed fine. The next day I booted up my computer and I loged in fine but my desktop was strage looking all the icons look normal but the text below them where black and I couldnt read them. I opend my computer and all text below the folders were black and couldnt see them.

I tried going to properties and the thing is black so I cant see what is on it. Figured id better format my c: drive ok. So I log out run a windows 98 startup disk so I can get to dos (I couldnt run format from XP I couldnt see any text in xp)I get to dos fine get ready to format and it says cant format this drive and I check and its not finding my c: drive it acks as if my c drive is my floppy. I restart get a message to insert the startup disk or something witch no disk works.

After about 20 minutes of trying the computer wont boot. I start it up the floppy light stays on the hdd light stays on and I have power to everything but the monitor doesnt click on. I pulled all the cards the cd drives the hdd and the floppy and tried to boot up with just the board and same thing happens. All fans are running fine I tried putting a different hdd in but I get the same thing.

I think that my motherboard is gone I tired to flash bios nothing works. I have had these parts for about 3 years. I run my computer all day round I turn it off about once ever week or so for a few minutes. I changed my battery on the board so I am out of ideas.

Any help would be great.

best thing for you rite now is to try eliminate by swaping parts with another pc that is working..

sounds like your hard drive is going bad. I have heard of viruses that can cause mechanical failure by overworking the hard drive (though i do not know if they actually exist).

from your 98 startup disk, run FDISK and see if you can see the partition (or partitions). If you can see them, then delete it with FDISK and use the XP CD to create a new partition and install XP again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back