Computer wont POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloo Ice

Hi. About 10 minutes ago, I was using my computer, and it was running fine. I needed to plug my pda charger into the surge protector, but the only way was to move the plug the computer was in [because the charger is big]. I hit the power button, assuming it would shut down windows and turn off, but apparently it went into standby [where the fans and such turn off]. I was below my desk and didnt notice it was going into standby rather than shut off. Once I heard it turn off I unplugged it and moved it to another slot. When I was done, I hit the power button, and here is the problem. Then fans turn on, and the hd activity light comes on. The power light doesnt come on, and the cd drives spin up like they do on start. Then they shut off, and spin up again. There is no video on the monitor either. I hit eject the cd drive, and it started to come out, and then it turned off, and restarted, and it went back in [the tray didnt get to come out all the way]. Did I mess something up? How do I fix it?

Nevermind. I turned the switch on the power supply off for a few minutes and turned it back on, hit power button, and all is fine. My question to you: does this look like a failing power supply?

No, you just surged your computer, your computer need times to eleminate the remaining static electricity. PSU is not the problem, but very lucky, from the years 1999, the company whose manufacture the PSU MUST include the Ground connection and your computer has one! Be careful next time pls.

Lucan

Phew. I guess I am lucky. This is my new system, and I'd be SOO pissed if it had been ruined. I've never realized how important that ground really is. Thanks

Just another reason to back your important files up often. This way if something catastrophic happens you've got your important files :)

Yeah. I've got roaming profiles, so they're cached on this computer and our server. But, I lost most of my data about a month ago, so I'm still pretty annoyed by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back