Computer won't power up anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Ok, here goes:
We have an eMachines T2824 desktop, pretty much a run of the mill basic desktop. The other day, it just would not power up any more. I bought a new power supply ( a 580 watt upgrade from the stock 250w it came with), and still no luck. When the power is turned on, a green led on the motherboard near the power supply turns on and stays on until a few seconds after the power is turned off. When the power is on, NOTHING happens... no fans, no beep, no HD activation, nothing.

I removed the on/off swich from the front of the case and hooked up a mult meter/volt meter to it to see if that works. The meter showed that the switch would only stay on for a second, then nothing again. I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Strip it down to to motherboard, 1 stick of ram and a hd, reset your cmos (move the jumpers for 30 seconds then put them back where they where.. if that dosent help i am sure there are about 30 posts in techspot archives that are similar to your prob.. sorry i cant be more specific!

good luck!

Im guessing its the motherboard...some of my friends have eMachines and at one time or another there motherboard died, and they all thought it was there powersupply. I dont trust eMachines because of that since im not a person with a lot of $.

Have a warrenty?

I hate to say this, but emachines are a constant source of complaints here on techspot due to their poor quality. Quite frequently their power supplies and other components fail. You can try replacing the PSU to see if that helps.

he/she already replaced the PSU, but I am guessing that it's with some generic brand crappy (but even a generic crappy should have made it work again if the PSU was the problem.

you can rule out a faulty power switch by simply shorting the 2 power switch pins on the motherboard header with a flathead screwdriver, shorting the pins will act as a switch and if that was the problem... will start up your computer.

I doubt however that your power switch is bad, and you have already replaced the PSU, that leaves the motherboard.

Here on techspot we get 1 post every 2-3 days about an dead emachine motherboard, I believe this to be the most common (and unfortunetly the most aggrivating) component to fail. Tedster is right, emchines are very poor quality and these problems are not uncommon to them.

Hey Tedster, since dead emachines are so common to this forum lately, and since you are the man when it comes to writing quality stickies... maybe your next project should be "my emachine is dead... now what?" ;) ;) ;)

"my emachine is dead sticky?"

hahahahaha

Problem: I have an emachine that doesn't work.

Answer: Grab sledgehammer, apply brute force, and toss remains of emachine in trash can. Then request refund!

I say motherboard. Its probably dead. I have never seen eMachine motherboard replacement, so better yet just trash it, or ghost it.

Tedster said:

Answer: Grab sledgehammer, apply brute force, and toss remains of emachine in trash can. Then request refund!
haha :D

sw123 said:
I say motherboard. Its probably dead. I have never seen eMachine motherboard replacement, so better yet just trash it, or ghost it.
you can get emachine replacement mobos, but there's no point because you would be replacing rubbish with rubbish. they (from what I have read) use a microATX mobo, so a good branded replacement should not be hard to get.

Sean said:
eMachines arn't expensive at all, some are 300-400 w/o rebate.
um :confused: who ever said emachines were expensive? it is well known that they are cheap, both in price and quality

E-machines, like they name say, are just for basic applications, and even some old games. They are difficult to upgrade, so if you want a powerful machine, you should build it yourself!

they never said they wanted a powerful machine, they just want to fix their broken "run of the mill computer"

lockdown said:
Hi all,

Ok, here goes:
We have an eMachines T2824 desktop, pretty much a run of the mill basic desktop. The other day, it just would not power up any more. I bought a new power supply ( a 580 watt upgrade from the stock 250w it came with), and still no luck. When the power is turned on, a green led on the motherboard near the power supply turns on and stays on until a few seconds after the power is turned off. When the power is on, NOTHING happens... no fans, no beep, no HD activation, nothing.

I removed the on/off swich from the front of the case and hooked up a mult meter/volt meter to it to see if that works. The meter showed that the switch would only stay on for a second, then nothing again. I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Any ideas?

Thanks
I have just read your message and have EXACTLY the same problem on the same machine. I have also replaced the PSU with no effect. Did you ever solve it? was it the Motherboard or did you scrap it?

e-machine with no power

lockdown said:
Hi all,

Ok, here goes:

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi, I had the same problem with a n e-machines model T2958. The fix is a new motherboard. I puchased one for under $50.

Hope this helps,

My brother-in-law had the power supply problem and brought it in to see what was wrong and they tested with a good power supply and then when turned on the message "CAN NOT FIND OPERATING SYSTEM" so he had them copy everything from his hard drive to a disk. He was going to junk it but wondering if he should get it fixed, any suggestions? I could do it for him but he can not find the original disks that came with the computer.

Tedster said:
"my emachine is dead sticky?"

hahahahaha

They don't listen!

I have an emachine T2824 that I purchased new about three years ago.
It will not power up. I have a DVD disk inside, and it will not come out.
How can I remove the DVD disk when there is no power, without harming
the disk, and the computer.

hudsoncar said:
I have an emachine T2824 that I purchased new about three years ago.
It will not power up. I have a DVD disk inside, and it will not come out.
How can I remove the DVD disk when there is no power, without harming
the disk, and the computer.

get a paperclip... there should be an emergency releace on the disk drive somewhere that should pop out the disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back