Computer wont recognize current hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneMonkeyBoy

I currently have a 40GB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive. I have an old 12GB Fujitsu hard drive that I want to put in for the slave drive. When I load up my computer with both hard drives connected. I tries loading up my old fujitsu and not my current seagate.

Does this mean that my seagate has always been set to slave? If so how do I change it to the master and the fujitsu to the slave.
If there is a way without involving the jumpers please tell me :)

I plan on using the 12GB for games and the 40GB for large downloaded files and a LOT of music. Oh and by the way the fujitsu has been formatted (NFTS) and has nothing on it. (not even 8mb of partioned space, (if this helps))

Thanks a lot in advance.

You will have to set the Seagate as Master or "Master with Slave present", using the jumper(s) on the rear of the HD.
These settings can be found on top of your HD.

The Fujitsu will need to be set as Slave, same procedure. This latter HD is very small by today's standards and will probably fill up quite rapidly.

You could also set the jumpers to 'CS' (Cable Select) which will then detirmine you master and slave from there location on the IDE cable. With this the end cable connector is the MASTER and the middle connector is for the slave.

Also check BIOS by pressing 'del' on boot up to make sure both you hard disc are recognised and are config properly.

In windows you can set up your Hard disk, add hard disks, partition hard disks, etc.

Control Panel\Admin Tools\Disk Management\

BB

The Cable select does sound a little less difficult for me to figure out and it works with where my cables currently are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back