Computer won't start anymore after closing it with Power Supply Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my story,

First off all I am building computers for a couple of years now and I know what I am doing, but This problem arrived the other day after changing my case. 2 Days Ago I bought A new Case and a new Burner for my Computer.
I unintalled everything and installed it in my new Case. I plugged everything back up and was on my computer again without any problems.

I used the reset button, but it was behaving oddly, the computer was still running but the monitor turned itself off. So I though that maybe I had installed the reset Switch the wrong way. I couldn't stop it anymore so I closed it with the Power Supply Switch. So I opened my case to see if everything was ok, Everything was as it was supposed to be. I played with the connectors a little bit to make sure they were well connected. I tried running the computers again, but it wouldn't start. It didin't make a noise, no fan running, no BIOS, nothing. I was very afraid to have killed my Power Supply or MOBO by closing it the wrong way.

I though that maybe it was just the power button of my new case that was the problem, so I connected the Reset Switch connector in the Power Switch. I tried turning it on and it worked. I was very releaved that it was just that problem. So I left it opened all night and went to work, I also accesed my computer remotely from work almost all day. But Last night when I finally came home the computer was closed, I though it was weird but opened it again and went to see a couple of things on the net. Went out for 30 min max with my GirlFriend. When I came back the computer was closed again and it wouldn't start again like it did the day before.

So I opened it again checking the reset and power switch button, But now any of the 2 didn't work anymore. I thought that it couldn't be the PSU or MOBO because last night I was able to get it back up by switching the Power and Reset switch.

I started to unhook every power cable from HD to CD and floppy, even the case fan. Nothing. Took out the Sound card and Video Capture Card, Nothing. Unhooked the HD and DVD Burner and floppy. NOthing. Took out the Video Card. I also plugged out and plugged back in the Mother board and CPU Power connector from the PSU, to be sure that they were well connected. Nothing happened. I even took out the Front of the case to look at the Power Button, They looked ok, but I am no expert in that. I also took the MOBO battery out to clear the BIOS.

Now my computer is dead, I can't do anything to make it work. I am thinking that by closing the computer with the PSU switch I might have shorted something, but with a good PSU like I have on a protected circuit it shouldn't happen. I saw an existing post were someone had the same problem and had used the PSU switch. But it is design to do that, Not fry everything by using it. The Antec PSU also has a protection against surges.

Tonight I will try to use a 350W Enermax PSU I have in another computer and see if it changes something. If not than they are 2 possible solution (Maybe just the buttons, but I doubt it) or the Motherboard is screwed. If it is the motherboard and my Waranty is not good anymore, I will have to buy a new motherboard and a New CPU, reinstall Windows and my Video Card which is AGP won't work in a PCIE MOBO. So I will have to buy a lesser MOBO and if future upgrade have to come I won't be able to buy a PCIE Video Card. If they still do the AGP by then. By they way they still sell Athlon XP MOBO in my local computer shop but they are so cheap they don't have AGP 8X or DDR400.

So what do you think it might be?? Any suggestion as to what I may Try? Anyone with a similar problem.

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Gigabytes G7A-400L Motherboard (nForce 2)
2 X 512MB of DDR400 Memory in Dual Channel
Antec 450W SmartPower
Maxtor 160GB 8MB IDE HardDrive (Primary Master)
Pionner DVD-111D (New DVD Burner) (Secondary Master)
Geforce 6600 GT AGP (w/ Additional Power plugged in)
Creative Live 5.1 Soundcard
ComproPVR 2 Video Capture Card

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If after trying your other psu it`s still dead, It`s got to be either the mobo or cpu.

I think for whatever reason, you`ve had a short circuit of some kind and it`s fried either the psu/mobo/cpu.

You`ve seem to have tried all the right things, so I can`t really suggest anything else.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Maybe he can try this: Disconnect all the PSU connectors to the PC or just remove it altogether. Now on the 20pin/24pin connector short pin 16 (the green wire) to any BLACK wire pin, use a paper clip or a short piece of stripped wire. This simulates the closure of your front case power switch. Now plug in the PSU and turn-on the back switch. If the PSU is ok the fan should start turning.

My guess is that you have a grounding spot on the mobo. Check that the mobo is mounted properly and is not touching the case. Make sure you use any insulting washer required on the mobo mounting screws.

Let us how it goes. Cheers.

It could be the little spacers. I wasn't able to put all 9 of them in because the tread on the box was screwed. I only installed it with 6, But never had problem with that before.

I will try with a screwdriver to short the pins for the Power Switch and see if it is the buttons.

I also just talked to a computer technician that just came in at work and he seems to think it is the Power Supply because of how the computer closed alone. I will try your trick kirock to test the PSU alone and see if it is only the PSU or maybe the MOBO and PSU.

I don't think it is the CPU because they was no overheating and I never even took it out, I just let it on the MOBO. Also it worked fine when I was able to boot the computer.

Here are 2 other threads on other forums I started. Just if you want to follow up

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=view_thread&t=663019
http://www.tech-forums.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99759

I've had something similar happen to me while gaming. My PC just clicked off in an instant and the power wouldn't go back on. I was panicking because it wouldn't go back on so I tried plugging/unplugging stuff as you did with no results.

Now this next part may sound really stupid and unlikely, but I'll post it anyway for the small chance that it helps you.

All I had to do was take the wire connecting the PSU to the socket in the wall out and put it back in again (both sides, so all you get is the wire)! I was baffled, but relieved when this happened.

Again, our situations are a tad different, and it's very unlikely this post will help at all, but I figure what the hey, can't hurt. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back