Computer won't start... Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Im having so computer problems and Im not really computer saavy, so please bear with a noob here.

I recently had a new motherboard installed because my previous one was fried. When I went to go pick up my comp at the electronic store, one of the technicians suggested that I may need to reinstall my window xp OS.

However the problem is, I lost by backup OS CD and my backup harddrive so Im pretty bummed. However I tried turning my computer on anyway, and once I get to the default menu, where it asks whether you want to startup in safe mode, normal mode, and etc., the computer progesses no more. I tried selecting every single one and the result is the same, my computer reboots back to the default menu. It's driving me crazy because I need my computer up and running asap. My sister suggested that I just buy a new Windows Xp OS, but I wanted to get some feedback before I go buy it.

I would really appreciate any advice and help on this matter, and if this has been mentioned somewhere else on the forum im sorry.

If the new MoBo is the same or almost the same as the old one, you can re-install XP at no cost. The store can just loan you a copy and you use the Product Key on the Windows sticker on your chassis. Now, if the MoBo is a completely different manufacturer, your Product Key probably won't work. That means you'll need to buy a retail version of XP. When you buy a computer, it's loaded with an OEM version of XP. The OEM version and Product Key provided will only work for that system. If you make a significant hardware change, you need to purchase a retail version of XP with a new Product Key.

As long as you have your serial number you can install Windows XP from almost any OEM (nonbranded) install disk. Borrow a friends disk and reinstall using your serial number. Or if you have a Compaq use a freinds Compaq disk. If you have a Dell use a friends Dell disk etc etc.

I didn't think about the change in motherboard problems you'd face, so your friends Compaq or Dell disk etc etc will probably not work if you changed motherboard manufacturer. Microsoft will allow you to reinstall a OEM version of Windows if you tell them the old computer motherboard was fried.

Above I just stated that installing a Dell branded version of Windows XP would probably not work on a motherboard without their brand, but I know for a fact that I have installed XP from a Dell disk on to an ECS motherboard and an ASUS board built for HP, so sometimes it does work. Thinking about the HP install I actually installed from an OEM disk and used the Dell serial number to complete the install.

Thanks for the feedbacks, but unfortunately I believe the new motherboard is from a different manufacturer. That's why the technician there said that I had 30 days to return the comp if the motherboard wasn't compatible. Also, I lost my serial number.

So Im assuming Im gonna have to shell $200 bucks for a retail version of Windows XP.

Chedder said:
So Im assuming Im gonna have to shell $200 bucks for a retail version of Windows XP.

Unfortunately, it looks that way. But you can still try it using an OEM copy from the store or a friend. It's worth a try. Legally, you're covered as you have bought an XP license (Product Key) for that comp.

almcneil said:
Unfortunately, it looks that way. But you can still try it using an OEM copy from the store or a friend. It's worth a try. Legally, you're covered as you have bought an XP license (Product Key) for that comp.

Yeah I might try that if I can somehow findout my serial product key number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back