Computer won't start up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

My computer recently crashed while playing Star Wars Battlefront 2. Now it will turn on, but when it does there is no monitor display, and the mouse and keyboard seem to not be receiving power as the lights on both of them are dark.

Any thoughts? I've heard that the game is quite buggy and that may be the issue but since the monitor is completely black I can't uninstall or anything. And yes I have tested the monitor, it works.

Probably toasted your power supply. Just for fun unplug it from the wall, clear your CMOS, flip the switch in the back of the PSU to 220 (if its on 110) and the back to 110*. Then plug it back in (make sure you flipped the red switch back to where it originally was) and press the power button. If still nothing happens go buy another power supply.

*I have no real evidence that this does anything, but I've done it once as well as had my mom do it once and read on another forum of someone doing that and it worked. Whether that had anything to do with it, or if it was just simply the unplugging from the wall for a bit I don't know, but it doesn't hurt to try it and it only takes a couple seconds.

Thanks for your reply.
I don't think it's the power supply. The computer is relatively new, and it turns on just fine at 110.
I also just noticed that it is randomly restarting. . .

Then what else is it? It may well not be the power supply, but my expierence on these boards leads me to suggest that as the most likely cause of your problems.

Other causes could include overheating of processor, which then doesn't allow you to turn it back on until it cools down to a certain point. Or a video card that isn't properly seated. Or a bad motherboard, or a bad processor.

You shouldn't EVER plug that thing in or try to run it with the switch at 220, which is why I explicitly stated making sure it was back at 110 before plugging it back in.

So if you don't think it is your PSU explain in greater detail your problem and what things lead you to believe that the PSU is not your problem.

It worked just fine before it crashed, and it will turn on when I press the power button. The only issue is that the screen is completely black. The lights on the PC are on and I can hear the fans moving, but the keyboard / mouse don't get power aside from a blink when started up. Also sometimes it will start up and a light labeled "H.D.D" doesn't light up. Does that mean anything?

try plugging it into your on-board video instead your main video slot, see if it help. I got the same problem as you : D
on-board is a temporary solution, try it if you have on-board video slot.

i tried on-board and it didn't work. i don't think its a video card problem, i've got drivers and a relatively new card. but then again i have no idea what i'm doing here anyways :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back