Computer won't take more ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

hynesy

Hey Guys,
This isn't really an urgent problem but I just want to know the cause.
I can't install RAM on my system for some reason. I have 1 stick of 512mb RAM but when i try to put in the first or second 1 gig ram stick i bought it wont work, the computer just doesnt boot. The same thing happens when I try to put another 512 mb ram stick in too. I know the motherboard can take it because in the motherboard manual it says it can take up to 2 gigs DIMM DDR400 PC3200 or SDRAM at dual channel, i have 2 RAM slots with only one used. I feel this is quite odd, but once again not urgent.
cheers
hynesy

Have you tried flashing the BIOS? I don't know but my computer acts the same way; any change of RAM and it won't even POST until I flash the BIOS.

how do i flash the BIOS and is that dangerous to any parts etc. in my computer?, could it cause a hard drive crash etc. because i just spend $250 getting fixed after a crash

hynesy said:
how do i flash the BIOS and is that dangerous to any parts etc. in my computer?, could it cause a hard drive crash etc. because i just spend $250 getting fixed after a crash
It's only dangerous if you touch something you shouldn't. Clearing and/or flashing the BIOS is perfectly safe.

You can either set the jumpers to CLEAR(read your mobo manual), or pull the battery out of the mobo for about a min or two then shoving it back in. Or both.

You will need to reset the system clock in your BIOS though, after you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back