Computer won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

slafa23

I got out my old PC because I need a file on it and I set it up and it won't turn on. Where should I look to try and fix it? Any suggestions?

Power switch or power supply. Watch the fan blades at the back opening of the power supply as you press the power switch. If they turn 1/4 to 1 turn then quit, it is the power supply.
Used ones for an old machine will work fine. About $5.00 Easy to replace with a Phillips #2 screwdriver, removing four screws, then unplug a few cables, plugging new ones in the same place.

Silly I know but it may be a faulty supply lead or you may have taken the fuse out to us else where. I assume you have another system so try the power lead from that.

could also be blown capacitors on the motherboard, seeing as it is an old PC its fairly likely. Also check to make sure cpu fan is working properly. Do you get any beeps or does it not just turn on at all??

Sometimes my pc crashes when left on overnight (randomly) and wont boot at all. I normally unplug the monitor thats powered off the psu, unplug the psu then reconnet a bit later and then it will work. No idea why. Just see what you can do.

If all else fails, just buy an external hdd enclosure via usb or firewire and plug i n the old systems hard drive and get the file like that. Probably the safest way to ensure you dont cause more damage.

Fuse? When did they start using fuses? Blown capacitors are very rare on old computers compared to newer ones.
I agree that saving your data may be the most important task.
But Power switches, disconnected cables from switch to board, and defective power supplies remain the likely causes if the cpu remains good.

There has been fuses in them for as long as I can remember, but they are on the pcb i think.

If the data you need to rescue is very important I strngly recommend spending the whole $20 or so to buy an external hard disk case and do it tha way. Most other methods are going to involve a certain degree of risk, especially if some part is serioulsy damaged as it has the potential to take the whole pc with it.,

For example, on one of my old computers, the power supply exploded, taking hte mobo, the hard disk,ram and the psu of course. Luckily it was under warranty and they replaced it with a larger hdd etc.

Just weigh up the importance of the data, and the degree of risk you are willing to take to get it back vs the money side of it.

Even the external USB case has a high degree of risk. Still, you have little choice if you need that data. Be extremely careful to avoid lateral impact... even slight bumps while the drive is running can ruin it or destroy data. Cheap USB cases are very poorly made. Use quality components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back