Computer won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi-

When I try to turn on my computer the power light remains amber and only the fan starts whirring up loudly. This has happened to me before and it was a memory problem so I switched in and out the two RAM cards that I have. Neither of this seemed to fix the problem. Also, none of the status lights in back are even flashing at all. Is it possible that both RAMs failed at the same time? One is only 8 months old while the other is ~3 years old (same age as CPU). I have no idea what to do. Any help? Thank you so much.

wats the status shown in ur monitor.... if one ram failed also the comp will nt work ...... if the failed one nly ........ it will work... so try removing the alternate......

remove all devices like your Hard drive cables and stiffy drive cables from your main board. if your board has onboard display remove your graphics card. then try again. if it wirks add on thing back at a time uyntill you find the problem.

Check out for ur power pins. Try to manually short the Power Pins on ur MOBO by opening ur system this may help in diagnosing the system if it is the MOBO which is faulty or not.

I want to say that I am running into a similar problem with a system I just built last year. Today my computer (runs W2k) locked up while typing an email on AOL. I rebooted and the computer would always get stuck at the screen showing (Norton's) GO BACK. Even hitting the space bar to solve problems doesn't work. So, frustrated I'd Power it down and then restart and then hit the start button rapid like three times after about 4 unsuccessful bootups.
Now a power light of red is on, but the green one that blinks at boot up is not working. All that I hear running is the processor's Fan. Did I short out my power button? Sorry to impede on this thread but mikeyworm's thread sounds like the same problem I am experiencing. Is my HD still okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back