Computer worked fine, now it does not? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxhallisxx

I searched multiple forums and could not find something similar enough to what I am experiencing with this computer, so here I post my scenario and question.

My girlfriends computer (Emachines T2742) was just running fine the other day. Her dad said it was turning off by itself all of the sudden and now it won't even come on. I took it completely apart "everything out" and cleaned out every spec of dust. Hooked up a known working power supply (it has a test button on it). Only having the power supply connected to the mobo and the hard drive with all other components disconnected, the test button is pressed and the ps fan and cpu fan turn on. There is also a green light on on the mobo "which means the mobo is getting power" correct? I press the power button on the case and nothing happens. I hooked the power led, hdd led and power switch all to a bread board for testing and they all work fine when the power button is pressed, so I know it isn't the switch which is bad. I tried everything I could possibly think of and the damn thing will not turn on. Also, I tried to turn it on with ram properly seated. Can someone give me some ideas please, this is driving me nuts. I almost am starting to think the power supply went and took the mobo with it. Possible?

yes if the power supply went it could of took parts with it causing it not too boot the mobo miight be fried........ first take out all ide/sata drives and take any daughterboards like modems and graphics out. Then reboot and see if you get a beep if you do then good news, if you dont then your mobo is fried sorry. next power off and now put the boards back (graphics first) and reboot. and then keep adding the parts back until you find the hardware with a short in it.

I have tried it without all parts, just mother board powered. I have tried with hard drive , then hard drive and rom, and so on and there is no power up what so ever. It wont even turn on, and i used a working ps. The ps has a test button and it turned the cpu fan on and its own fan on and thats the most action I can get from this computer. Emachines are garbage.

Do you think this was caused by a surge to the computer? It was plugged into a regular power bar from dollar general.

I use them on mine but this was my g/f's dads computer. I recommended him to get one for his new computer. I just wanted to see if I could get this one up and running for my g/f's grandma. I may just use the fan from this ones ps and put it on her grandmas ps since that one is broke and swap hard drives as well boot up 98 and at least her old computer will be running again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back