Computre stuck on boot screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

mq8421

right when i turn on my computer it goes to the usuall first boot screen that shows the processor, the memory and some of the drives. then it stays on that screena dn doesnt move at all. i have recently tried to change the video card and this is how it ended, so i pulled it out and put everything to how it was before. but it stills freezes on thte boot screen. i cant figure anything out plz help.

You may need to refer to your m/b manual on resetting the bios
I'd also check all connections are secure on the m/b and devices (harddrive ; cdrom etc)

ok i took out some small battery oin the motherboard for 30mins like it said and unplugged everything eccept the harddrive and this time i was able to get to the setup screen but when i finished it restarted and it did the same thing. so im starting to think it might be a power supply thing because it originally started when i plugged up the new videoo card and didnt realize it but plugged in the power part of it while the system was stilll runing so do u know a way i can check that the power supply is still working?

mq8421 said:
because it originally started when i plugged up the new videoo card and didnt realize it but plugged in

Can you remove the video card and use the onboard video (if one exists)

oh yea i did that same thing, it seems that the longer i keep the computer offf the farther it gets. the farthest right now is that it got the an all black screen and on the top left corner of the screen it has a small blinking line. this is haveing everything unplugged except for the hardrive. im starting to get real frustrated with it.

Just to be clear
At this stage

The Video card is out
It will not Start (power on self test)
You cannot get to bios

Can you also remove the harddrive from the motherboard
And confirm the above

yes kimsland i put everything back how it was before i tried to intall the video card, but it still does the same thing and turns on but stays at the post screen and then becomes non responsive. and to captain cranky the cpu temp is at like 47c when i turn it on but the psu seems to ge treally hot reeally fast and i can hear a buzzing noise barely if i leave it on for a couple of mins

Sounds like Power Supply
Really at this stage could be lots of different hardware

You may need someone with experience to start swapping out parts

Yeah.....What Kimsland Said.....

The PSU is the prime and usual suspect and if it's failing, it will overheat sometimes. Something making a different noise than before sometimes amounts to a death rattle. Many Antec PSUs begin to make an annoying high frequency whine before going belly up.
You should start by subbing the PSU. Don't worry, if it's a decent supply you're using for the substitution, it should have self protection measures against another component which could be bad. My next experiment would be the video card.

I have a question, I am working on a HP a1267c desktop model. The computer is stuck on the HP invent window. I will not let me into any thing. I have disconnected every thing on the PC. The only thing that is running is the cpu and ram. I have also tried to clear the cmos and reset it but no luck

Can some one please help me figure this out. I have run out of options

mq8421, sometimes a bad capacitor can cause this problem.

Do you see any 'domed' capacitors on the motherboard ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back