Configuring Thunderbird to access Yahoo mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiker

I use Thunderbird and need to access Yahoo mail. Only to find out that I need to download YPops as a go-between between Thunderbird and Yahoo.

I tried configuring Ypops but it seems to not do anything. I still can't access Yahoo mail. Does anyone use Thunderbird and Ypops to help me? I certainly would appreciate it. I've read on forums and helps available on the web, followed the steps they laid down but nothing works.

this is nothing more than a proxy bound to the 127.0.0.1 (localhost)
for both inbound(port 110) and outbound(port 25) email.

the ypops proxy must be downloaded and installed.

Sorry I am very new with this, I would like to configure my Sea Monkey E-mail Client.

1. I tried to follow the steps mentioned above, however I still not able to get my email client working.

2. do I still need to install ypop 0.9.5 before I set up my account?

Thanks

>>>2. do I still need to install ypop 0.9.5 before I set up my account?

yes :)

If you currently have yahoo plus, you can download your email to thunderbird. With yahoo standard you cannot unless you use a go between. As this thread is quite old, I am sure by now you can use something like ypops, but I cannot be certain.

Thanks jobeard, I beginning to receive email from my yahoo mail.

thanks Tedster I want something free.

Now i am not able to sent email i have sent port to 25. is that correct?

Configure Ypop to sent mail

Sorry I do have trouble to sent email on my thunderbird. I hope someone can give me direction on how to configure.

without a yahoo plus account, you will need a go between like ypops. TB 2.0 does not support ypops to my knowledge. I have a plus account and I can download my emails directly to TB. It's only $20 a year and well worth it for me.

OR

as an alternative - get a gmail account from google. You don't need a go between and you can also download emails directly to TB 2.0 and it's free.

that's the typical issue and it has two flavors;

1- a bad smtp server name, port, security setting

2- an attempt to multi-hop connect to your ISP

On (2), when you're running an email client and connecting to a web-base email server, the reading is trivial,
but sending gets fouled up due to multiple ISP in the path to your smtp.server.name.

Port 25 (ie smtp email sending port) gets monitored by the ISP you are connected to
and you either connect to them (meaning you need an email account on that ISP),
or you don't get to send email.
Laptop users are exposed to this problem at every hotspot they visit!

This is the major benefit of using web-based email; your browser will allow both
send & recv regardless of where you are located.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back