Conflict using 2 audio cards w/Winamp 3 in 2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

videobruce

Using 2 audio cards w/Winamp 3

Running 2k w/sp2 and a PII 450 and Intel chipset (surely NOT my favorite, only a cheap 2nd box).

I have 2 audio cards:
The first is a Winnov Videum AV video capture card with audio.
The 2nd is a Creative SB CT4810.

I added the SB after because the audio from the capture card sucks! It is noisy especially when playing mp3's. They are full of static and hiss where the SB with the stock Windows drivers (I didn't load anything else) is fine! Not that I'm a fan of Creative or especially stock Windows drivers, but that is the case here. The Winnov has the lastest drivers for 2k.

The problem is when I play audio CD's using the SB as the default device in sound & multimedia properties (box checked) I have no level control in Winamp. If I use the capture card I have control. This is only fron CD's.

I hope this is clear. Any ideas?

Yes, the audio cable is plugged into the SB or I wouldn't hear anything!

Yes, I am using analog!

Just to keep things more interesting;
With a CD playing using Winamp, when I close the program, the CD keeps playing!
There are no processes or app's running in task manager (2k)!
How the hell can something operate without some process or app controlling it?

I have uninstalled V3 and installed V2.81 which has fixed the CD playing by itself problem, but the lack of audio volume control is still there.

The CD playing is done by the drive itself. In the good old days, there used to be play/pause/stop/next/prev track buttons on the drives so you didn't need any cd player software.

I didn't know that a CD would play by itself. Too bad programs wont work without a O/S!

Now..............I uninstalled the Videum software and tried the SB card.
The SB card sounds like crap the same way the Videum did, which was the reason I added the other card!

WTF.............more flying saucers!

So I uninstalled the other software, removed BOTH cards, did 2 re-boots and reinstalled the SB card without ANY software. Only the CD plays now.

Not sure what to do now! Hate to go throught all the **** again!

Now, the audio is bad from either card. Sounds like a 78 record. But Media Player plays the file ok!

Now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back