Confused..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
amd athlon64 2800

i built my own pc with the amd athlon 64-2800. the problem is the guy told me it runs at 2.8 Ghz but the specs says it runs at 1.8 Ghz. i need help understanding this......are their other factors involved for how fast a cpu run's? thanx

2.8 is the intel pentium series equivilence.. but im not 100 percent on AMD stuff so just wait up for the other guys...

your CPU does not run at 2.8GHZ. a couple of years ago AMD adopted a new nomenclature for it's CPU's the 2800 means tha tif it were an athlon ( like the old TBird) it would have to be a 2.8GHZ to produce the performance of the 2800. that is AMD's official stance on the naming scheme they use. unofficially most consider the naming to show the AMD chips equivilence to an intel chip.

are their other factors involved for how fast a cpu run's?

Answer to that is yes. Your AMD cpu is basically running at the same equivalent to the Intel 2.8 mhz cpu.
The explanation is technical, but Intel and AMD use different methods to get the same result and the result of that is that the AMD will have a lower mhz but be running at the same speed as, in this case, the Intel 2.8 mgz.
Some people argue that the AMD is actually running faster than what is stated above, but that is another argument, lol.
Either way, your cpu is installed and running correctly, it appears.
When you right click on "my computer", what does it say about your cpu?
That will tell you all is well.

highlogic said:
are their other factors involved for how fast a cpu run's? thanx
how fast a CPU is involves more factors than just it's clock speed alone.

OEM PC's are marketed with the processor clock speed being the only thing that matters, so this is unfortunetly what most people consider to be the only thing that matters when it comes to performance... until a little more research is done on their part.

In terms of processors, there are 4 major factors which determine it's performance. these include:

1. clock speed
2. BUS speed
3. L2 cache size and speed
4. IPC (instructions per clock)

AMD Athlon64s and AthlonXPs have a higher IPC than Pentium4's, which means they can do more work per clock cycle than pentium4s, which is why they perform as well as P4s without the high clock speed.

Intel processors duplicate the L1 data onto the L2 cache, AMDs do not... which is why they do not have to have as big of an L2 cache as well.

BUS speed is pretty standard at 200MHz for modern Intel and AMD systems, they each have different "effective" speeds for different reasons. Intels effective BUS speed via "quad pumping data" results in an 800MHz FSB. AMD64s effective speed via "direct connection to memory" results in a 2000MHz hypertransport BUS (or 1600MHz for the socket754 lineup)

the CPU clock speed is determined by the CPU multiplier x the system BUS speed. for example your CPU's 1.8GHz clock speed is the result of a 200MHz system BUS with a CPU multiplier of 9.

I hope this helped explain it a little better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back