Confusion installing nvidia drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BiZ

Ok so i downloaded and extracted the linux x86 drivers and followed the instructions in the readme which are:
1. Run self extract
2. Change init level to 3
3. restart and log in as root
4. do commands:
cd /root
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run
5. Go through installer stuff... yea all that
6. Change your xorg.config: Changing driver "nv" to driver "nvidia", and remove Load "dri" and Load "GLCore"(which wasnt there in the first place) then add Load "glx"(which was already there)

Then i rebooted and ran startx then it came up with a black screen oh joy! So being the linux noob i am i didnt know how to access the xorg.config from the prompt so i just reinstalled. Tried it again(two more times actually) thinking i mistyped or something and got the same results.

Any ideas?

You'll need to access a file called xorg.conf - it's usually located at /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Make sure you back it up before you make your changes.

This is a fresh install of Fedora Core 4. So that wont help. I looked anyways though and there are no lines with (EE).

I think the problem may be with the drivers i installed. x86 is for a pentium 3 right?

Anyways i got it working. No idea what i did wrong the first 3 times. Onyl thing i did different this time was that i ran the yum update before i installed them.

There's also an updated NVIDIA driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8174-pkg1) that fixes a lot of problems. I have a 6600LE and X wouldn't run with the 7676 driver .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back