Connect using CAT5

Status
Not open for further replies.

kapsi

I recently purchased a new IBM ThinkPad R40e and would like to connect the laptop to my Desktop at home.

At work I have a HUB which allows me to connect to the LAN but I dont want to invest in a HUB for home. Is there anyway I can make a direct connection between the TWO machines using some CAT5 cable. My hardware guy says it can be done - But I don't know how?

If somebody can give me a simple guide, it would help a lot. Yes, I have a network card installed on my DEsktop.

Appreciate the help! Thanks!

- Kapil

You need a crossover cable for direct connection between PCs. If you are not into making things right from a textbook, then this guide is enough:
http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm

Even simpler soultion would be to ask your nice hardware guy to make you a crossver cable. Just tell him how long you want it.

As for configuring the computers.. You have to give them different IP addresses on a same subnet. E.g. desktop as 192.168.0.1 and laptop as 192.168.0.2. Remember to make them members of the same workgroup.

Networking Guide

I have this cross over cable ready with me. My hardware guy anticipated my need and sent it with my Laptop.

But now I need some guidance on the Network configuration. Like assigning the IP addresses, setting the Workgroups, adding the computers etc.

Let me know if there is any guide which can take me step-by-step. Thanks for all the help - APPRECIATED!

P.S - Both machines are using Windows XP

- Kapil

You don't need to do anything manually except connect the 2 computers via the crossover cable. Run ICS wizard on your desktop machine, then I think do the same on your laptop, the wizards pretty much take care of everythign for you.

You might want to run "Network Setup Wizard " ito setup a small LAN as well if you intend to share files between your pc and the laptop.

If you have an existing straight through cable (your typical CAT5 used for networking these days), you can also buy a crossover adapter for it.

I bought one for my laptop so I don't have to keep a whole crossover cable in my bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back