Connecting computers for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused: I need to set up two computers at home so that we can play against each other. I was wondering, what do I need to do? One of the computers is a desktop; very new and has the Windows XP platform, the ethernet card is already built into the system. The other computer is a laptop, with Windows 2000. I want to go wireless, and I've spoken to a number of people who say all I need to do is purchase a Wireless broadband router, and purchase a wireless ethernet card for the laptop, and that should have my computers communicating with each other. It sounds too simple. Am I missing a step? I read somewhere that I'll neet a BNC cable and terminal resistors. The people I've spoken to said I didn't need BNC cables or resistors if I was going wireless. Will I also need to purchase another CD Rom of the game in order to play with the other person sitting at the other computer? I'm clueless. SOMEBODY, PLEASE HELP!!!

BNC is something from the Stone Age I think.. Modern computers will probably self destruct if you put coax anywhere near them :p

If you just want to play with those 2 computers, all you need is a crossover network cable (twisted pair).

If you want to use internet too or add more computers in the future, look at internet connection sharing solutions. Those including some sort of a router, either wireless or wired, are a good choice for you.

The CD issue depends on the game you want to play. Read the game documentation for multiplayer possibilities.

It sounds too simple. Am I missing a step?

simply put, no. wireless has come a long long way and now (ignoring issues such as encryption) you can almost plug stuff in and just go. of course have windows run it's network setup wizard too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back