Connecting Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here's the deal. Me and another guy in my dorm have nice sterio systems, and we want to connect the computers so that we can play the same songs at the same exact time in both our rooms for social events. I had planned to hook my computer to my sterio with a 1/8" connection comming from sound card to an RCA connection into my reciever. Will this work? And again how can we hook up our computers to eachother to run the same music files at the same time??? (We are on our University's LAN connection, and both have Windows XP)

The cable thing will work. The sound quality may deteriorate if you have a long cable though.

You can achieve (virtually) simultaneous playback by asking the sound playing software to start playing a song via a script that issues the command to both machines. That is assuming you are playing the songs with something that can be controlled externally runtime (plenty of plugins for winamp that can do that).

Ok I have winamp, but as far as actually getting to two computers connected to run the software for simultanious playback, how do you go about doing that?

You start up winamps on both computers, same playlist of course. Then you make a batch file that makes winamp play both on the local computer and on the remote computer. You need some winamp command line control plugin for that. And the remote execute program from sysinternals.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back