Connecting two routers together - One wireless ADSL, the other a DSL wireless router

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandaking

Hi there :)

Right, I really need some help here - I thought I had done this correctly but clearly not as it still doesn't work :)

Info
Basically, I got my sister a wireless router, and purchased a big antenna for her to take up to Uni, as she has rented a house with loads of friends, and it's massive with very thick walls.

Luckily, the router and modifications mean she can access it all round the house (although she has had to put a long cat 5 cable in to put it on the middle floor).

When she finally got round to purchasing internet (from "Be") they sent her a wireless ADSL modem / router.

Here is the problem:
The router they sent doesn't have the range needed in my sisters house.
The router I gave her doesn't have an ADSL modem.
They also don't have a telephone cable going to the middle floor, only cat 5.

How can I connect the two routers together?
I know it's possible by turning off DHCP etc from the second router, but it doesn't seem to be working.

More info:
Router "A" is the ADSL modem/ wireless router they provided.
Router "B" is a Kcorp KLG-575 - pdf manual can be found: here

Connection info from a pc connected wirelessley to router "A":

Physical Address: 00-16-6F-96-2F-BD
IP Address: 192.168.1.69
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.254
Lease Obtained: 20/11/2007 16:21:12
Lease Expires: 21/11/2007 16:21:12
DNS Server: 192.168.1.254
WINS Server:

Settings available on router "B".
LAN and DHCP Server
1361.2.jpg

Select Connection Type:
1361.1.jpg

Any ideas?

If you look on the manual (link), page 16 onwards shows you all the settings available.

Thanks for your time,
Panda

You need to get her a wireless Access Point and place it in a central location in the house. Select the DSL modem and configure the Access Point to connect with it...

On the second router (B), disable DHCP, set the LAN IP to match the LAN of the first router (192.168.1.x).

Connect the two routers using their LAN ports.

"Connect the two routers using their LAN ports"...

Nodsu,
wouldn't the first router connect to the second router by LAN (Local Area Network) on the first to WAN (Wide Area Network) on the second router?

the components are wired
Code:
Modem/firstRouter----secondRouter---wireless connections
Connect all wired system to the first router and DISABLE the wireless feature on it.

Run a LAN side cable from one to two and on two, insert into a LAN port, not the WAN port.
Also disable DHCP in router two.

The Modem/firstRouter will be close to where the service enters the house but
you can move the secondRouter to a more central location.

Tmagic650 said:

wouldn't the first router connect to the second router by LAN (Local Area Network) on the first to WAN (Wide Area Network) on the second router?
Only if you have masochistic tendencies and you insist on doing everything the wrong and painful way :p Yeah, it could be made to work that way, but it would be pushing elephants uphill.

You can have wireless on both routers if you like no problem. Just make sure they have different SSID and set the channels so that the networks don't interfere.

I'm just going by the way my Netgear wireless router and my Vonage VoIP router are hooked up. LAN to Internet port on the Vonage VoIP router. I have connected Linksys wired routers, router 1, Uplink to router 2, WAN

I trust your advice Nodsu ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back