Connecting Two Routers Together (One Wireless And One Wired)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I have a Wireless Router (WRT54Gv2 - Secondary Router) and then I have a Wired Router (RP614v2 - Primary Router). I want to connect the wireless router upto the wired router so that the wireless connections will have internet access as well as being able to share files between each other. I have tried different things such as having a ethernet cable go from internet port on the Wireless to one port on the wired router, and no luck from what I could see, tho it did at on time assign it a IP Address. The Wired Router senses what port needs to be a Uplink port and automatically configures it, so It is not the case of making sure that I plugged it into a Uplink Port.

I also tried turning off the DHCP server on the wireless then I was unable to access anything including the wireless admin page. :-( I tried something with the static route page and may have came close because it asks about default gateway, ip address and so forth.... Any help is very much apperciated!

Thanks in advanced for your help!

~ Kei

You should plug the LAN port of your wireless router to an ethernet port on your wired router.

If your wired router doesn't have a built in hub or switch then Plug the LAN ports of both the wired and wireless routers into a common hub/switch.

Connect directly to your primary router. Pick up an IP from it and note the gateway (probably something like 192.168.x.1).

Connect directly to your secondary router and pick up an IP. Log into it and disable the DHCP on it. After that is done change its IP address to 192.168.x.2. It will probably reboot and you will loose connection to it.

After that run a cable from a LAN port on the primary router to a LAN port on the secondary router.

You should have a full connection now. Your secondary router will act as a switch/access point.

thanx to tdeg. reason i'm bringing the subject back to life is this question: i did it like tdeg mentioned and now i'm experiencing enormously long ping times. is this the reason? can i avoid it somehow with some other options?

Edit: oh, yes, if it helps: my 2nd router is Edimax BR-6216MG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back