connection was refused--now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post! Hope this is in the right spot.
I went to the IE6 & OE under guides and tweaks yesterday. Made some changes and didn't restart puter then. Today I can't get on to my normal sites. Even my own. I get this message: Yellow triangle with ! inside it. The connection was refused when attempting to contact ackerman.irvamerica.com

Also for: www.rvamerica.com
www.forums.G4techtv.com

I went back to control panel/internet options and clicked the 'use default' buttons, restarted but still get same message. Has to be something I clicked that I shouldn't have. Any ideas?
IE6, 98SE
Thanks

This sounds like you have a proxy server installed in your settings. In tools->internet options, under connectino settings, check through the options and be sure you see nothing about proxy servers, and if you do remove the information.

After you finish, apply and OK, and then restart your machine. Retry. Hopefully it'll come through like a champ.

Goalie--I'm using Firefox right now and checked it and no proxies checked. I tried the 3 sites again and was able to get thru to the RVAmerica ones but not G4techtv.
Any other ideas?
Thanks for answering.

Well.. did you check the proxy settings in IE??

Connection refused could be that they're simply down.

Another thing to try is to clear your internet cache (IE: Tools, Options, Delete files, yes.. Firefox: It's in the preferences, I forget exactly where.)

Goalie--
I just tried the G4techtv again in both Firefox & IE. Neither would connect. You probably hit the nail on the head with saying they might be down. I'll keep trying them daily. I'll post back if I connect with them or if it happens on another site.
Anyone wants to try it here's the URL:
http://forums.g4tv.com/

I tried it today and there was a post on there that they were down all weekend. The other 2 must have been my settings and worked after I reset the defaults. Quite a coincidence.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back