Connectivity problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I’m having a strange problem communicating with some hosts on my network.

I have two networks 192.168.10.x and 192.168.13.x and network traffic is routed via Cisco 801 routers over ISDN.

The problem is that I can’t access a host on one of the networks from the other until the computer I am accessing pings the computer trying to access it, for example:

Host-A cant access Host-B until Host-B pings Host-A.

This problem only occurs across the two networks.

Any ideas to where the problem may be would be appreciated.

For more information:
The networks are on a domain and run DNS and DHCP. All workstations are XP and servers are 2003 Standard.

Thanks!

I am not familiar with the Cisco 801 routers and the solution would depend on a lot of different variables...ie. router configuration(protocols used).
Are there other hosts on the networks? If so, do they work fine without having to ping each other?
If host A can't access host B until host B pings Host A then...
It sounds like the router is dependant on a type of routing table and if the route isn't in the routing table then it can't complete the route. When you ping host A then it builds a routing table, so future attempts to access the other network should be successful.
But again, it depends on other factors, especially if hosts, other than host A and host B, on both networks can access each other successfully.

I am not sure if I can help, but if you can provide a few more details, I can try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back