Constant BSODs - Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, my name is Jon, I have come here in seeking help for a problem I have been experiencing lately. I appreciate any help you can offer.

It's a long story. I build computers myself, and I built my current config a number of months ago. Here are the specs off the top of my head.

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
Intel E6600 @ 3.4GHz
Team Xtreme PC2-6400 4-4-4-12 @ ~180MHz
Ultra X3 1000W PSU
ATI Radeon x1950Pro
Raptor 80GB HDD

Ok, when I first built the computer, I had BSOD problems right off the bat. I don't remember what they were, but no matter what settings (stock or overclock), I would get blue screens. I then realized that I was running my memory at 2.3v, as these sticks are rated for 2.0-2.2v. So fine, I adjusted the vDimm and the problems seemed to go away. So I figured the memory was overheating and left it at that.

I did the whole overclock process, ran two instances of Prime95, and thus settled with the current 3.4GHz I am running now. I realize that the memory is running slightly below spec, but it didn't bother me. I was happy to have a 100% stable computer.

But the past few days I have noticed several reboots, sometimes when in games, other times just doing regular desktop/IE work. I tried system restore to a date I knew the computer was running solid. No luck with that, so I figured there must be a hardware problem. I set Windows to not automatically restart when there is an error to display the BSOD, and the first one yielded this while running a game:

0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xbfb28225, 0xa614fbf0, 0x00000000)
ati3duag.dll - Address bfb28225
Base at bfb07000
datestamp 46cb95a9

So I tried updating my ATI drivers, did so, but still experienced BSODs. Then I got one on the desktop, doing nothing, that said:

0x00000050

Which to me sounds like a memory issue. I'm thinking that maybe my memory is bad after all, although it ran fine for a good deal of time, I wonder why this problem would surface now. When I found my max stable OC, I ran memtest for I think 2-3 passes which were successful. I haven't tried to do another yet, as I don't have a floppy drive installed.

Does this sound like a memory issue? I have ordered some new memory just now to test it out and see if the problem goes away. In the meantime, any help would be appreciated. I'll attach some mdp's.

Please if you could help me, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you everyone.

Hi everyone, just some other info.

I have the odd application fail with a memory error, you know the "click OK to terminate the application".

Also, I managed to mount the Memtest ISO to a disk, ran memtest, and the results are laughable. Look at the attached pic. It almost seems as though every address tested, failed. Keep in mind that I only had it running for 5 minutes, if that. Before testing I changed everything to stock settings, no more overclock.

But if the memory were so bad, how can I load Windows? I don't get this.

Attachments

• memtest.jpg
    memtest.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 6
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your Memtest image is far too small to read.

I assume Memtest is showing errors on your ram?

If that`s the case, then you probably have faulty ram and that`s why your system is crashing.

Your minidumps crash with various culprits and bugchecks. This is also consistent with a ram problem.

If you have multiple sticks of ram, try running with just one stick of ram and see if your system becomes stable. If it doesn`t try the other stick of ram.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi Howard, thank you very much for the suggestion.

I originally tested my 2x1GB pc2-6400 DIMMs in the two orange slots. I tried switching them to the black slots, same problems.

So I tested one stick. First stick reached about 40 000 errors within 5 seconds. Second stick ran 4 passes no problems!

Looks like its time to RMA, thanks again for the help howard! :)

Btw sorry for that image, I had to shrink it to allow the upload, it basically just showed that I had around 34 000 errors within the first pass.

It's weird how one of my DIMMs could all of a sudden crap out like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back