Constant rebooting, corrupt dll? cpu problem? HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer has taken a downturn the last few days.

First, after 10 minutes in windows XP, all or most of my currently running programs would freeze. No new programs would load, even taskman.exe or msconfig.exe. The currently runing program like Firefox might run for a little while longer but nothing else would run. Also, once that happens, windows would not log off or shut down or restart. Usually before this i have taskmanager open and the core programs seem to be using alot more CPU than normal.

Did a few system restores, didn't work.

Tried booting with F8, rolling back to last known good configuration. Now almost any program wont load since it says wininet.dll not found.

Now, the computer will not even boot. It loads the XP loading screen, then right before the blue screen where you log in pops up, it reboots itself. This happens again and again in a never ending cycle.

What do i do?

Only semi good news is that, once in awhile it will boot in safe mode, but not with networking :(

please help. thanks.

If it's a long time since you looked inside the case and cleaned things out, it's worth doing. Just possibly, the computer is overheating. This can be down to dirt, fans not spinning or a poor contact between the CPU and heatsink. Computers will shut down to prevent serious damage. There are freeware programs you can download to check temperatures but it sounds like your computer won't be able to install or run one at present.

I once faced infinite restarts when I screwed up and installed some Windows 98 drivers on my computer which was running XP Home. You mention a network so that may be worth looking into too.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back