Continually beeping from system speaker!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to everyone at TechSpot.

I have a Packard Bell - iMedia 1414 PC.

The specs of it are as follows:
Microsoft XP Pro - Service - Pack 2
AMD Sempron(tm) 3000+ - Running at Stock (2.0ghz)
512mb PC3200 - Windows reporting 448mb
Onboard VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP graphics
Onbaord Realtek AC'97 Audio

Running avast! anti-virus software, up to date.
Do regular scans for spyware with Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal
And occasional CCleaner "cleans"

Being a low spec computer no gaming is done and is only used lighly for MSN Messenger, Internet (Firefox) and Music Listening(WMP).

Not long ago I had big problems with stability and cudn't find a way to fix it without starting again so I did. I previoulsy had Windows XP Home, but have now updated to Pro version. Before I installed the clean version of Pro, i put in a Creative Live 4.1 sound card (old-ish). After a few days a beeping noise started when using the computer. No experiences of crashing or bad stability have come up since installing xp pro unlike Home. This beeping noise isnt a steady 1 long 2 short as i can tell, and sometimes go High-low-high-low kind of beeping for some time. I have recently taken out the creative, uninstalled drivers and used the onboard sound but the beeping is still there. The beeps are coming out of the system speaker but i cant find where to unplug it as it isnt the same as a self build computer(cable are in one big block (power led, power switch etc)

Sometimes the beeping stops for some time but at other times the beeps are nearly continuous.

Can anyone tell me if they have had this happen to them or any thing that could be casuing it to beep annoyingly?

Would appreciate any help or ideas given.

Thank you, Phil.

Here is a screenshot i did earlier this morning,

http://www.filewire.com/download.php?id=2accfb5f1c68b1fe5699cce

I then took a look inside the machine and decided i need to have a spring clean.
Took off the cpu coller and to my horror the cpu was near enough bare and had no paste on it. Put some on. cleaned out fans and case and took a second screen shot:

http://www.filewire.com/download.php?id=e789809f1c68b21acb7affe

This is after the clean up. Weirdly the beeps have seem to have decreased in number hugely.

I read somewhere else it may be when the graphics was put under strain so i tried putting a FX 5200 in before doing the clean up and still have it in now and seems to be fine.

Do the voltages look right?

The psu is a FSP Group Inc - model: FSP250-60PNA-E (250w) single 120mm fan. Is the PSU substantial enough for this system?

I believe thats a Fortron and they make decent power supplies. Likely that was a good enough power supply when the system was built, and ok as long as you didnt add too much to your system. However, as they ago with wear and tear that becomes a different story. If there has been a fair amount of usage of that system over several years, its very possible the power supply may need to be replaced.
300 to 350 watts is more than enough. There are many at, say, newegg.com that you can get for $30 to $40. Just stay with a name brand. There are some Fortrons there under $40. And dont get sucked into the claims of like 680 watts power supply for $20. These are pure junk and a waste of money.
I can supply you a list of good power supplies if you want. Actually, just read this thread and all you need to know is there, sort of :

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic50676-pg1.html&pp=20

The thing is the computer is one year old last month and hasn't had a very hard life so far. Few days it's been left on for but generally turned off for the night.

I would happily order a new PSU just incase, that was if i lived in the USA, as here in the UK we get charged more than you do.

What are the limits for the vollages; at what voltage does it become unsafe and possibly damage the hardware?

Sorry, but when i saw "Packard Bell" i figured the pc was older as they stopped selling them in U.S. and Canada years ago, i think.
If its not that old then, unless there was specifically something related to the ps then i wouldnt change it.
Could you get hold of a spare ps that someone has and swap the ps just to test and see?
Also, it wouldnt hurt to run memtest. YOu can google that, its free. Remember to only have one stick of ram in your pc at a time when running memtest. Let memtest run about 6 passes and if all is well then test another stick of ram until done. Its just, in my opinion, one way to get rid of ram as a possible culprit in your pc problem. And if there is a ram issue then you will know as memtest will pick up tons of errors on one stick or possibly even more.

I just saw a different post and considered running memtest. I will do a test over night for best results.
I only have one stick of 512 in so no problems with having to test two :).
In my opinion the US is fortunate that Packard Bells arent being sold because their service is terrible and ive heard nothing but bad things about them.

Ive got second machine, as this is my mum's family computer but am using it currently becuase of redecorating. Its got a Q-tec 650w (i think) in it. Would it be worth testing with this, even tho it isn't a especially good PSU?

Weirdly it seems i have stopped the beeping for the mean time with the clean up but i suspect this wont last for ever. But i did get a beep when i logged on and off.

Will post results of memtest after leaving it over night.

Phil.

I too have heard bad things about Packard Bell but i have a Packard Bell P2-450 that has been humming along since the 450 cpu came out. I use it as a spare now but the original owner used it every day for, say, 4 yrs or so before i got it. So i dont think of them that way,lol. Course i never had to turn to them for any service either!

Yes, that ps is not the greatest but as long as its running properly then its fine to use for a tester.

Let us know all the results of all this so we can sleep tonite, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back