Control bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfi

Hi all
I have a internet connection of just 128kb/s and we have 3 pc's at home i want to connect them all using a switch but mi question is can i control the bandwidth flow from my pc it has just WinXp it's not a server a also know that if 1 port of the switch is 128kb/s all ports are 128/s are must be,but this is't not all that. :bounce:

no... every pc you plug in a 128Kb/s modem, each pc took CHUNK of them and use for nothing, except the auto-update and the IE, the ping for the game will be very bad, will get worst each pc connect to router...

FYI... SWITCH WILL NOT WORK WITH THE MODEM, USE THE ROUTER. Router is for the internet connection and file sharing (or gaming), the switch is used for file sharing/printing and gaming, not the internet.

bushwhacker said:
FYI... SWITCH WILL NOT WORK WITH THE MODEM, USE THE ROUTER. Router is for the internet connection and file sharing (or gaming), the switch is used for file sharing/printing and gaming, not the internet.
The issue here is the IP-address assignment.

With a router, the public WAN address is assigned by your ISP and the LAN addresses are assigned by the router itself; eg 192.168.0.x using DHCP

A swith does not have NAT support and therefore does not support DHCP.

The switch can be made to work, but your ISP must assign you static addresses, one/system AND you have to manually configure each machine.

The right thing to do is, get a router. If beneficial, the switch can be chained off one pf the router ports (I do this myself to make cabling the left vs right side of my room).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back