Convert an XP processor into an MP by connecting bridges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

I've heard that XP processors can be turned into MP processors by connecting a bridge or two, but I just don't know which ones... So if anybody could help me with that, it would be really nice 'cuz I kinda bought a few XP (stupidly without knowing that only MP's work on dual boards - OUPS! :)

Thanx in atvance...

I heard about this awhile back. I'm kinda surprised AMD did this and is trying to hide it. I don't see why they don't just release the next level of dual Mobos that support the XP processor line.

I guess when this mod starts becoming more popular, AMD will have to rethink their strategy and hopefully release a supported XP dual mobo design.

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
I heard about this awhile back. I'm kinda surprised AMD did this and is trying to hide it. I don't see why they don't just release the next level of dual Mobos that support the XP processor line. My guess is their trying to squeeze all they can out of the MP line that is fast becoming old.

I guess when this mod starts becoming more popular, AMD will have to rethink their strategy and hopefully release a supported XP dual mobo design.

I think I posted a thread on that article if I'm not mistaken :D What do you mean by the MP line is getting old? I thought they just came out with new stuff?

If the modding becomes popular, I think they'll do what they did when the XPs came out. Make it harder for pple to mod it. Just wish the pencil trick still works {g}

The AthlonMP is not older then the AthlonXP. It's the same exact core ( same speeds, same caches, same transistor count, same heat production ). The only difference is the AthlonMPs are tested for Dual CPU operations & are certified to work in DUAL CPU configs by AMD. You could get two AthlonXPs to work with that mod, but if it doesn't, don't even try getting an explanation from AMD.

I heard the AthlonMP have a technology allowing them to share the L2 cache between both processors. A sort of Dual exclusive L2 cache, meaning the data isn't reproduced in the L2 caches of both processors. Might actually be some technology rooted in the AMD 760 MP(x) rather then the processors.

Originally posted by lokem
I thought there were Athlon MPs b4 the XPs?

Before that, there was even the Athlon4 for laptops, which was once again the same cpu but with PowerNOW functions. The other difference is its 100mhz FSB. But still same core. 3DNow Professional, Hardware Prefetch, less heat production ( compared to the Thunderbird ).

The Thoroughbred will be released for laptops before the desktop. It should be announced in a few weeks or so.

Something I posted previously in the 3ds news forum.
Just thought it would be worth putting in here incase anyone thinks of unlocking Xps for mp use and finds that the latest ones that they have purchased can't be unlocked...

Athlon XP in Future Locked
In future AMD would switch off the dual-processor capability of its Athlon XP CPUs, Athlon Brand Manager Mark de Frere said in an exclusive interview with tecCHANNEL.

One wanted better protection for customers of multi-processor systems and therefore make sure that really only Athlon MP processors provided for it would be used, Mark de Frere stated. He did not want to give an exact date for the lock but said it was sure it would happen this very year.

AMD totally remained silent about the realization. According to industry sources the switching off of the SMP capability shall result from configuration bridges that are torn through with a laser at packaging. This solution AMD already uses as CPU overclocking lock for fixing the core clock multiplier. Should the SMP protection be realized likewise then it could be avoided the same way as the multiplier lock. Instructions for that are circulating in the Web for month now.

More available at CeBIT

THanks for the heads up Arris. I'm actually expecting something more AMD could do with their CPUs instead of cutting the edges with laser. Somehow someone will find a way to that.

L5 can't beall... ?

I've ordered another XP 1900+ for my system now and now needed the XP's to act like MP's, right? My top L5 bridges are already connected from production so there shouldn't really be a problem, right? But still they refuse to work simultaniously. If there's a CPU on socket 0 it posts so (and even as an MP), if there's one in socket 1 it posts so (also as MP), but when they're both in it only posts as one CPU in socket 1 (still MP-style)...Why is that? :confused: And what can I do about it?

Thanx in advance!:)

PS: I'm using an ASUS A7M266-D main board...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back