Convert and Exe to an MSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

commission

I am trying to create a group policy in Microsoft Server 2003 so that I can install a specific type of software onto everyone computer. The issue that I have is that the software is and EXE file and the group policy is looking for an MSI file.

Is there a simple utility that I can use to make this conversion happen?

No. There can be no universal solution.

There is a common trick that works with all MSI wrappers though:
Start up the installer (but don't complete the installation) and look for a new folder in your temporary files. It will contain the .MSI.

You will not be able to access the file during installation because the installer is using it.

You may or may not be able to copy the file. Try right clicking it and click copy, then open any folder, My Documents if you wish, and paste it in.

If this doesn't work, exit the installer and see if the MSI is still there.

If it's not, run the installer and press ctrl + alt + del and end its process, this may leave the MSI in place because the installer didn't have time to end and clean up after itself.

I'm afraid that's all i can think of right now and it's time for bed for me but i expect Nodsu will have some suggestions for you when he's back online. You might get some more replies in the mean time anyway ;)

You can always do a hard reset/poweroff during the install to make sure the temp files don't get cleaned up.. :p
There are also some programs that can copy locked files.

After you have installed the program, the MSI goes to the windows\Installer folder. It will have a random name, so you have to do some guesswork to find the one you need. The file size noted from the Temp folder is a good indicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back