Converting FAT32 to NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

si007

I decided to convert my 40GB C drive today but kind of fell at the first hurdle. I have detailed instructions on how to do this which are here http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php and the first thing it says to do is to realign the partition so that I don't end up with 512 byte clusters. For this I used BootitNG. I ran the program from a floppy, entered maintenance mode, highlighted the partition I wanted to convert, clicked the Slide option and checked the box to Align for NTFS only. I clicked start and expected it to take a while but it finished straight away. I assumed that the partition may already be aligned for NTFS but when I checked the drives properties, the cluster size was 32 bytes which is the same as it was before I tried to realign the partition instead of 4KB which it should have been after the realignment.

So now I'm not sure if I should continue with the conversion or if I messed things up somewhere. I followed the instructions to the letter.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Si
:bounce:

You created this filesystem using WIndows XP, didn't you? If you read that guide more carefully, then you notice that this realigning is needed only for FAT32 partitions created by previous Windows versions.

Use the convert command given in the link to convert the drive directly. Don't bother about the cluster size or anything. It will tell u that conversion will take place when u reboot. So reboot and it will start the conversion after the Win XP splash screen.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but I ran Partition Magic today and checked my C drives properties. The cluster size for this drive (FAT32) is listed as 32K and not 32 bytes as I said in my original post.

Cheers.

Si
:confused:

Many thanks for your help guys. The conversion went without a hitch and the cluster size is OK too :)

Cheers.

Si
:bounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back