Cooling fan testing - Toshiba A45 S121

Status
Not open for further replies.
I aquired this Toshiba A45 S121 with a known heat problem. Got a really good deal. After a while the system will shut down. After cooling off it always starts up. I believe the (CPU)cooling fan blows for a while but then seizes up or something. It is real hot where fan and fins are.

Anyway, I disassembled the machine and removed fan. Now I want to test it on the bench. I used a plug-in-the-wall 12V 800ma DC source and stripped back the red and black wires (so I can restore if necessary) and applied voltage and fan does not move. Polarity is correct. There is a third wire coming from fan, it is grey. I'm not sure what that's for, I suspect it is a temp sensor or control wire.

I don't want to buy a new fan until I'm sure it is the problem.

Can someone straighten my head out. Maybe my voltage source is not good enough or the grey wire needs something???

Thanks!

I'm guessing it is a considerably old machine? And the third wire is more along the lines of being a fan speed sensor for the mobo. If the fan is really old it could be dead and new ones are so cheap you might as well replace it don't waste your time trying to fix it. Five bucks for a new fan isn't a big expense to get a computer working.

Old? No don't think so.... 2.8GHZ Celeron 40GB hd Laptop. Maybe around 2002/2003?

Where does one find a fan for this machine for $5?

Well 2002/2003 is actually not considered the cream of the crops and Celeron with 40GB hdd isn't the newest technology either, as far as where to find a fan for 5 bucks try just about any local electronics store that isn't a radio shack or big box corporation, someplace that buys overstock and sells for cheap. I use a placed called access electronics, can find anything you could ever need there.

Thanks for your input, Adhmuz.

The fan is good but if it were bad, this is a laptop....you can't find a replacement fan for this or any other laptop for less than $40-50 for a USED one. The desktop PC fans are a dime a dozen but I have searched everywhere and above is what I have found.

Looks now like I have a sensor problem. Oh, joy!

Well sorry about the misunderstanding I thought you where talking about a desktop not a laptop, I have little to no experience working with laptops so I can't be of much help, all I can say is good luck!

The replacement fans are not cheap, that's why it good to get the extend protection for 3 years or more. I can fix them get the parts cheap well wholesale or rebuilt as DELL and the others do it. Still need an ANTEC laptop cooling FAN as the main fan doesn't do a good job with current models. Toshiba, HP/Compaq do get hotter due to the design of them making them lighter and giving you so much bells and whitles..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back