Copied my install CD but wont BOOT from cd

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a copy of windows XP and i wanted to create another CD because the one i have is getting more and more scratched...I explored my CD and copied the files and wrote them on a blank CD it has the auto run and runs fine when my computers on ... comes up with the menu and everything. However when i restart my computer it does not give me the message BOOT FROM CD PRESS ANY KEY ... yes i do have it set to read from my CD drive first in the Bios that is not the problem...did i write it wrong? am i surposed to uncheck "read only?" please respond

it is only a BACK UP copy i am not using it for any other use but for me only i am not selling it or anything. It is pure back up my other one is now damaged

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

No, it`s not illegal to make a backup of an original Windows cd.

In order to backup your Windows cd, you`ll need to use some burining software such as Nero etc.

Otherwise, you get exactly the problem you have now, in that the cd won`t be bootable.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Let me add to Howard's post that when you use Nero or other similar program, you should be burning an ISO copy, not a drag and drop, formatted disk copy.

I myself use Nero and when making a backup of my Windows disk, I simply chose the copy cd option and that was it.

Regards Howard :)

rik said:
To me, it looks like it wasnt an original MS one.
Probably not. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Because of this:
chris748290 said:
i have a copy of windows XP and i wanted to create another CD because the one i have is getting more and more scratched...I explored my CD and copied the files and wrote them on a blank CD
That right there that I put in bold is the source of the problem. You can't do it that way because the file (usually extracts with isobuster as a bin I believe) that makes it bootable isn't copied. It isn't even a hidden file for explorer to see. So if you wanted to do it the way he did, you'd have to use isobuster to extract the bootable portion off the real Windows cd, then in a burning program you'd make a bootable cd and point it as the file you extracted.

The easiest and cleaner way to do this, is to just use a proper cd burning program and tell it to Copy CD, and then give it the Windows CD. Just copying files over in Explorer won't work as described above.

Now for some reason if you used your last cd to make this, and you have any other way to boot to a DOS prompt, then you can still use your cd. The setup is <cd drive>:\I386\winnt.exe

I recommend nLite to do that. Not only can you sliptstream service packs & security updates, you can also slipstream the latest drivers for your hardware so that you won't need to reinstall them after re-loading the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back