Copy camcorder from 8mm analog to computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddappete

I have a Sony 8mm tape CCC Handycam camera CCD-TRV212.

Only has video and audio outputs (no S or USB outputs). I think this is "analog"? Anway, not obvious how to get my tapes downloaded to computer. I thought I might be able to transfer from this camcorder through another, digital camcorder that does hook into my computer. But, no luck. I would ultimately like to get my stuff on DVD. I know I can put this on VHS but don't want to go that route.

pete

I'm afraid that because Hi8 or 8mm is an analog format, yuo can't transfer it to PC.

If you want your footage on DVD, you could find out if you know anyone with a DVD Recorder and plug the camera into one of the inputs.

I am quite sure there are programs to convert digital to analog. IF you have RCA jacks, this should be able to be done. This question is better addressed in the audio/visual forum.

Uhm. Sorry, but Daveskater is talking BS..

Anyway..
The best solution would be to get a Sony Digital8 camera that supports the playback of Video8 tapes. Then use that camera to transfer tha video digitally to the computer.
The other, simpler method is to use any TV or video capture device. Video8's resolution is so small that even old crappy devices will do. All of them support both S-Video and composite inputs.
And yeah, you could use a DVD recorder device or a PVR or anything with a digital output too.

OK. Here is what I've learned. I bought a Pinnacle Dazzle DVD Recorder kit (about 40 bucks). Has S-video, and traditional yellow, red, white plugs. I tried it out on a toshiba unit and it worked great. has ability to bypass storing the movies on the computer and can be burned directly if you wish. So, for relatively little money can handle all kinds of digital and analog signals easily.....................
You do need a USB 2.0 port.
Pete

Digital camcorders often have an 'analog passthrough' that you connect your old camcorder to, then with the new one's IEEE1394 output (firewire) you can connect to your computer and all is well. Windows movie maker works well enough for capturing through firewire.

Yes ShipMaster, this is what it has. How is your's working for you? I loaded it up on a new Toshiba and it worked fantastic. I want it on a older PC and I'm almost there.....I needed to add a USB 2.0, some driver updates, etc., but on this computer it does two things I don't like...
1. It captures video all herky-jerky and not smoothly in real time like my Toshiba, and,
2. The playback is like 2x speed. I downloaded the "fix" that Pinnacle refers to but didn't matter..........

I'm wondering if I need a new video card? I have a NVIDIA with the number on it of MS-8830 ver 1.0, which honestly doesn't mean anything to me.....
pete

The video card is irrelevant. The capture ability depends on the quality settings (the amount of data that comes in) and the computer in question (the amount of data you can process).

Make sure you haven't set your quality settings to some insanely high value - Video8 (your original source) can do only 240 lines and capturing at a higher setting would give you nothing.

If you are not compressing the video that comes into the PC, then the bottleneck is the hard drive. You could try creating an empty partition and saving the video there. Thoroughly defragmenting the hard drive may help too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back