Copy Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickzer

Hi all,
I have an external 250 GB HDD(just 2 weeks old) which I’m using as a backup device.
I put all my music on it c. 5 GB (no problem)
I put all my downloaded applications on it c.6 GB (no problem)
Now I want to put all my DVD ISO’s on it (one at a time)I’m having problems.
I keep getting the following error:

Cannot copy: There is not enough free disk space
Delete one or mere files....etc

I’m using NTFS on my computer and FAT32 on the external HDD.
Win XP Home SP2 with all updates.
I have plenty of free space on all drives on my system.
I’ve tried Copy/Paste Drag/Drop and Send To (same error)

TIA. mickzer.

I could be wrong but I beleive that the problem is that fat32 files system has a file limit size and that is probably your problem.

Did you format the hard drive when you first got it? I'd suggest looking into Disk Management (Right click my computer, and choose manage) you can format it in there.

Hi All,
After receiving info about the size limit:
I divided the 250GB into two partitions in Computer Management > Disk Management. I formatted the first one in NTFS…No problem.
I then tried to do the same with the second one, except in FAT32…It wouldn’t let me do it …Only choice = NTFS. I then went into Run > cmd … And typed FORMAT E:/FS: FAT32 and it let me go all the way through to the end …before telling me that the Volume was too big(Another FAT32 limitation). Anyway, I divided that partition further (into 3) , went back to cmd and went through it all again….SUCCESS .Copied everything over again …no problems whatsoever.
BTW Even with a small enough partition Disk Management will not let me format as FAT32.

Thanks for all your help. How is it nothing is ever as easy as it should be with computers??

mickzer.

mickzer said:
I then went into Run > cmd … And typed FORMAT E:/FS: FAT32 and it let me go all the way through to the end …before telling me that the Volume was too big(Another FAT32 limitation).

Microsoft limits FAT32 partitions to 32 GB in Windows XP, I guess it's because they want people to use NTFS.

If you want to use larger FAT32 partitions, format them with 3rd party utilities or in Windows ME (provided that the drive works correctly in it).

Due to 32-bit values in the partition table, the maximum FAT32 partition size is (in theory) 2 TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back