Copying DVD's for personal use

Status
Not open for further replies.

danswebs

Hey everyone,

Simple question, i live in the UK and i have a house in Cyprus and i wish to take some copys of movies i have bought to leave out there so i have something to watch over there. I have found, however, that most DVDs have copyright protection, i was just wondering how can you get around it? I am not trying to break the law, i am simply wanting to copy them for my own personal use.

Regards,

Dan

The URL below is a site with some fine software that'll bypass the copy-protection.

http://www.elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/index.html

Also, just so you know, it is illegal to copy films at all. While copying software is usually not a problem as it's the licence and the number of installations which is the issue with a film, the intellectual property is launchable from the disk. I'm pretty sure about this. I used to be that you could make a single copy of any media to serve as backup/playdisk, but now I belive that only applies to music.

Hello Lekki_Sheep,

I have downloaded that program, but it still wont allow you to copy the DVD, it says the DVD is copy-right protected and process wont continue.

Regards,

Dan

I have downloaded that program, but it still wont allow you to copy the DVD, it says the DVD is copy-right protected and process wont continue.

You have to use AnyDVD in conjunction with CloneDVD in order to copy your movies. Copying a movie you have leagally purchased ( for the purpose of having a back up) falls under "fair use" and is itself not illegal. programs that will break the copy protection are however illegal under the DMCA. that is why programs like CloneDVD2 are still around and being upgraded. they do not bypass copy protections.

So are they being upgraded to stop this? How come DVD X Copy got stopped but all these other programs are still alive?

Ok I see so pretty soon these programs that are getting upgrades will not allow copying as well, right?

How come DVD X Copy got stopped but all these other programs are still alive?

Because the makers of DVD X copy didnt have the sense to see the writing on the wall like the author of CloneDVD2. DVD X copy included copy protection bypassing features that is why it is dead. ( that and it wasnt that great a program to begin with)

Totally agree on the program not good in the first place and now I see thank you for the enlightenment

I have a downloaded copy of CloneDVD which also came with a copy of DVD Shrink, and which will indeed copy DVDs with copyright protection. It was downloaded from a site in the UK; that was before Ebay started removing ads for it from its pages. Thanks to Hollywood for making it tough to find copy software to bypass their protection schemes

iss said:
You have to use AnyDVD in conjunction with CloneDVD in order to copy your movies.
Really? My bad. To be honest I've never used it and assumed it'd have functionality similar to CloneCD. Sorry 'bout that.

Really? My bad. To be honest I've never used it and assumed it'd have functionality similar to CloneCD. Sorry 'bout that.

The author Of CloneDVD foresaw that programs with copy protection removal features days were numbered. so he designed CloneDVD with no copy protection removal components installed. that way his program is perfectly legal and cant be shut down. he then authored the little stand alone program called AnyDVD which does the copy protection removal on the fly, and sold it to a company in antigua which doesnt care about Copyright or DMCA laws.

FYI - AnyDVD + CloneDVD is probably the quickests/easiest setup you could have for this task. It's a great combo that I've been using for quite some time now.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replys, im now using, DVDFab Express in conjunction with Nero 7 to burn my dvd, thanks for all the help,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back