Copying Windows 2000 Operating system ILLEGAL??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have gotten myself into a battle with a seller on ebay who is selling backup copies of his version of Win 2K, together with COA stickers from dismantled pc's.

I have refused to pay him (£25) for the item, which he described as 'genuine' and 'not illegal'. I only discovered that the were CDR backups when I was emailed by other ebayers who had this problem. I soon contacted everyone who had bought his items and sure enough 100% of them had received copied cd's.

Surely it cannot be legal to copy any cd and sell it to anyone, even if it comes with a COA sticker.

I have even heard that it is now against the law to sell COA stickers on their own (eg. without the software) Is this correct? (In the UK??)

Thanks all!

That sounds really sketchy if you ask me. I believe the COA is ONLY for the CD that came with the system. Selling or giving backups to other people is illegal. Ebay will take care of him soon enough, Muahahahaha...

ebay has posted this situation on there bulletin board
it is totaly outside of the licensing for oem PC's to remove stickers
and sell them
now on the other hand if you have a new sealed oem packet that was never installed your OK.
I have seen dealers list sets of 5,10 15 stickers at a time
sorry guys ,but I report you asap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back