Core 2 Duo Strange Benchmark Result, HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledgus

Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a New computer, and wanting to show it off, I took it round to a mates place for a LAN, and we ran benchmarks on each of our machines.

My Computer is:
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4Ghz)
-2GB DDR667 Corsair RAM
-250GB Sata 2.0 HDD
-256mb nVidia 7300 GT

My Friends setup is:
-Intel Pentium D 3.4Ghz
-1GB DDR533/667 RAM (not sure which)
-256mb nVidia 7600GS

I know that my mates graphics card is better than mine, but my computer has a much better CPU, more ram, and basically beats his hardware in every other aspect...

HERES THE THING!

We ran 3d Mark 06 on each of our computers, and I got a mere score of 1800 whilst my friend got a score of 2300 or something. And in the CPU results, I got 820 whilst my friend got something like double that!

Whats going on??? Why did his computer get a better score on 3dMark 06? I can understand if hes got a better graphics card, but why Did I get a crap CPU result? My High end Core 2 Duo is far superior to the Pentium D

Is the result of the CPU score affected by the graphics card? With games, I can run F.E.A.R, Call of Duty 2, Battlefield 2142 etc all on the highest levels perfectly, and I would say that is mostly thanx to my CPU coz I only have a 256mb 7300GT with a core clock of 350Mhz!

Please help me out! I'm coping alot of crap from my mate, and I dont have any explanation!

Thanx Guys,
James

hard to say. There are quite as few reasons that factor in benchmarks besides CPU. Also some benchmarking programs don't handle dual core processors very well. Most benchmarkers take the system as a whole, not just the CPU.

I can run F.E.A.R, Call of Duty 2, Battlefield 2142 etc all on the highest levels perfectly
Impossible, not on a 7300GT.

And whatever artificial benchmarks tell you doesn't matter. The only thing that really matters is the performance in-game.

Launch the same game on both computers with the same in-game settings, same settings in the Nvidia controll-panel, the same driver version and the same amount of background applications running, then enable the frames/second counter in whatever game you're running and see what you get.

It could be possible if he plays at 640x480 with pixel doubling ;) (which makes it 320x240)

I can run those games on high at playable frame rates, I figured it must be due to my awesome Core 2 Duo, coz my 7300gt aint that flash. So you dont know if GPU affects CPU results? I'm gonna upgrade my graphics card to a 7900GS/GT

Don't think your Core2Duo had anything to do with high framerates. What you failed to mention is the resolution you're playing at. You can use ultra high setting, and set res to 320x240x8, while everyone else is comparing their games running at 1280x1024.

I would still be puzzled by the CPU benchmark, although you're using the wrong program to do a CPU benchmark.... PCMark might be a better program for that.

I was running it on 1280x768 on high

Whether or not that program is good or not, I cant work out why his inferior computer got a better CPU result...????? We used the same program.

I'll try the one u said

1280x768 is a resolution that I have never seen anything run at, ever. You meant 1280x1024 or 1024x768 which is more likely based on you saying you have everything on high and it runs.

Run SiSoft Sandra tests, you should blow him away on that, if not you have something in your bios configured wrong.

1280x768 is a widescreen display. Just a bit off from 1280x720p. My videocard and lots of games support it. If the 7300GT is GDDR3, it is probably 500/1400 and therefore better than a 7600GS even if it does have 4 fewer pipelines. I can see you getting bad in 3dmark, but not in the CPU tests... seems like something's up. I don't know what though... sorry :(

Hmm, I googled, and didn't find anything for that resolution rather than projectors, and some airline displays. Perhaps it is a widescreen resolution on small widescreen monitors, but it doesn't fit the same ratio as 1440x900 (16:10) or a 16:9. Oh well doesn't matter and its really irrevelant to the problem at hand.

I still think he should run a Sandra test to see if his CPU is performing properly, it could be being throttled because of high temps.

Hey Everyone,

Something really wierd happened... I took the CMOS battery out of my computer, and also took the cpu out and then put them both back in (it appeared that the cpu fan wasnt secured firm enough) and also left the side of my case off. I booted up the machine, and ran the benchmark again, and got a cpu score of 2400... almost 1000 more than my friend :D

I cant 100% figure out wat was up, but my 2 theories are:

1. The CPU wasn't getting sufficient cooling
2. There was something screwed up in BIOS

Let me know what you think guys! And thanx again for the help too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back