Core 2 Duo vs Dual Core

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not entirely sure you know what you are talking about.

We really would need to see what processors you are specifically talking about (the AMD X2 and the Pentium D processors are dual core). 2 2.9Ghz dual cores that are not core 2 duos vs a single core 2 duo? Is that what you are asking?

Are you talking about a potentially using a motherboard with 2 CPU sockets and running a lesser 2 core cpu in each vs a single CPU socket motherboard with a Core2Duo processor?

What is the intended use? What is the budget?

I don't really know to much tbh.

I'm looking at 2 machines that has everything else practically the same except one has an intel 64 bit core 2 duo E6600 1066 mhz FSB processor and the other has an intel pentium D "Dual core x 2" 3.4ghz processors giving it a combined clock speed of 6.8ghz?

Well that "3.4 x 2 = 6.8" thingy on the Pentium D PC is just a marketing gimmick. The Core 2 Duo is the best CPU on the market right now and it easily destroys the Pentium D by a wide margin.
@topps, aren't both Intel? ;)

Yea, ignore the "6.8 GHZ" garbage. It really pisses me off when stores have to go to that great a length to sell a product.

Easily go for the e6000. I have one myself and I can tell you that it is a SWEET cpu. Well worth the extra money as well.

Take a look at some benchmarking results if you dont believe me :)

Thanks! they are both intel processors. I think i will go for the new intel core 2 duo processor rather than the two 3.4ghz dual core processors.

no. Unless you're purchasing a server motherboard that accepts two CPU sockets, it won't work. From the looks of it, you have no idea what you're talking about - no disrespect intended. I suggest you read up on basic computing.

2 CPUs running at 2.4 ghz does not get you 4.8 ghz.... they both run at 2.4ghz. Furthermore, home motherboards only take 1 cpu. (consisting of 1, 2, or multi-core cpus)

a dual core cpu, has TWO cores on one die. (or two cpus on one die).

Your questions indicate you need to study more on basic computing before attempting to build one yourself. Good luck. :)

Point of Academia

2 CPUs running at 2.4 ghz does not get you 4.8 ghz.... they both run at 2.4ghz. Furthermore, home motherboards only take 1 cpu. (consisting of 1, 2, or multi-core cpus)

I hope the community will forgive this lapse into profanity, but Apple's G series desktops are available with dual DISCREET processors. At one point the G3 (or maybe G4) was declared "weapons grade" and export was forbidden. Apple got an entire advertising campaign thrown into their laps, and the opportunism in action was sickening to behold.

You can get the Mac Pro desktops now with 2 dual core xeons (2 physical processors, 2 cores each).

I don't think we should be jumping all over melted head2, I haven't paid attention to motherboards in a few years, but I do know that back when I was paying more attention you could buy boards for 2 CPUs that ran 'normal' processors.

captaincranky said:

I hope the community will forgive this lapse into profanity, but Apple's G series desktops are available with dual DISCREET processors. At one point the G3 (or maybe G4) was declared "weapons grade" and export was forbidden. Apple got an entire advertising campaign thrown into their laps, and the opportunism in action was sickening to behold.
1. the Apple G is not a common PC.
2. There are always exceptions.

In general 1 CPU + 1 CPU does not equal twice the speed. Let's not confuse the noob.

Youll regret that case it has lights and looks rather dumb lol just get a standard black one so soemone dosnt walk in ur room and be like wtf is that alien device.

Well....

SNGX1275 said:
I don't think we should be jumping all over melted head2,

Although I agree with you, completely, You must admit that the screen name "Melted Head 2" to one degree or another is asking for it. My personal vote goes to making Melted Head 2 wait his turn until we're done with Melted Head 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back