Core 2 Duo vs Quad core

Status
Not open for further replies.

apple1ma

Im looking to get a new computer and im debating on which processor..

The first one is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor with 1066mhz FSB

Or a Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor with 1333mhz FSB.

I was leaning more towards the quad core, but im not sure what im losing or gaining.

You will not gain hardly anything with a quad core. Few software take advantage of multi-cores. Fewer still handle more than 2 cores. Unless you're doing video editing, CD/DVD burning, anti-virus checking, while surfing playing a game, etc.... don't bother. Just get 2 cores.

Hmm, well the quad core is 20 dollars cheaper so its not really a price issue just wanted to know how much a difference it'll be. Since a quad core would be better for the long run i think i'll grab one now since i can get a pretty decent one at a resonable price.

I'd go Q6600, cos its cheaper! nuff sed!
If you want to overclock, then the core2duo's do that in spades, which will boost performance way above the quads, as they don't OC as well.

apple1ma said:
Im looking to get a new computer and im debating on which processor..

Or a Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor with 1333mhz FSB.

I was leaning more towards the quad core, but im not sure what im losing or gaining.

that is the fastest processor u have ever imagined useing and u would be very prod of it I am on one right now and everything u do is fast. i say go for the E6850 Conroe and do not worry u will be proud.

Go for the Quad Core Q6600...Invest now!!!

First of all processors get older quicker than daily newspapers.
So since you are investing better invest for the future.

Go for the quad core and rest in the future.
Don't worry about its actual use,application are on their way to make full user of this powerful processor.

The Core 2 Duo E6600 is ok but just for some $ being saved,think about how much you are going to save for the future.

By the way don't forget to have a Geforce 7600GT or Geforce 8800GT...if you have money left for the second choice

Hmmm....

Isn't it likely that we'll be at the next generation of quad core processors before the software catches up that can utilize it? If you believe that to be the case, then the Q6600 really isn't future-proof at all. It would hinder you at the present, and the new C2Ds should outperform it.

i heard 8 cores were announced -.-, the thing is the q6600 is 20 dollars cheaper than the dual core i posted so its a pretty cheap for 4 processors. My budget right now is kinda tight, im spending about 1400 w/o hard drives and cd drives, but by the time they release faster quad cores i should have much more money to play around with.

I would go with the C2D for all the reasons people have already posted. By the time that software catches up with the Quad-Cores, we'll be at least a generation past where we are now with hardware. If not more. The Dual-Core is going to perform great for you now and will be overclockable without a problem which will make it that much better than a Quad. Just my 2 cents.

Halos said:
I would go with the C2D for all the reasons people have already posted. By the time that software catches up with the Quad-Cores, we'll be at least a generation past where we are now with hardware. If not more. The Dual-Core is going to perform great for you now and will be overclockable without a problem which will make it that much better than a Quad. Just my 2 cents.

Beautifully said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back