Core 2 Duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Joe

Will the core 2 duo cpu's work with a standard socket 775 motherboard?

If so what chipset on a motherboard do you recommend, to handle this processor.

Or more exclusive which ASUS board(s) are best suited for this CPU?

-joe

duo's

I always read the reviews on the mobo's/ processors (cpu) @ newegg.com, you get the words from the people who bought it*
Yes, it's a cpu for the 775 ...
You want to get the best mobo for that chip you can afford.
just my opinion for the $$$ MSI P6N SLI Platinum.... 164.00 and great reviews with those cpu's !

P6N huh

My series or the last I heard of is the P5

I was trying to help out a friend that I talked into building himself instead of a buying a Dell.

The Duo's are the newest thing since I built my system(but if my board will handle it perhaps I'll upgrade), I just wanted to best advise this friend on the direction he should take.

Edit; that staement i made above got methinking and I don't have the E or the 975 chip, but rather simply the premium and the 955x chipset, i'll delete what I said above about having the 975 chip

don't cheap out on the mobo. Get something with a 680i. the core 2 duo should work in any LGA 775 that is at all new.

kitty500cat said:
Core 2 Duo CPUs are not supported by all socket 775 motherboards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#Core_2_Duo_Chipsets

These are all the Intel chipsets that support Core 2 Duo. Aside from that, the NVIDIA 680 and 650 chipsets support it, along with a few ATI and perhaps some AMD chipsets.

He's right ! My mistake. * If you have over 250 .00 to spend and absolutely need the overrated pci-e (dual SLI) Supported setup be my guest, I could never understand how the naked eye can tell any difference over 60-70 fps anyway ? For right around 150-160.00 the 650 chipset on either one of MSI's 2 "new" platinum boards are great. The 680's are a little* better if your into the latest and greatest but; the 650 is plenty for the novice with a lot of room to upgrade, the bios is still brand new. Plus the copper pipes look most awesome. The best mobo you can afford is always the smartest choice for the techy though.....

The support for C2D is hardware related if I'm right, updating BIOS shouldn't work for most motherboards.

The 680i is a pretty high end motherboard, you won't go wrong with that at all. But IMO, its a big waste of money unless you're going to run SLI, or going after the highest overclocks. The 965P range is a much cheaper option, and its still pretty decent at overclocking. They are also the best selling motherboards around AFAIK as they represent really good value for money.

I would state that you shouldn't skimp on the motherboard at all, but that would just mean stay away from unbranded, untested, unheard of stuff. If you can't find any reviews on that motherboard online, chances are you'd want to stay away.

I agree the 680 boards are good mostly for sli and only get a 30% overclock. Mobos are important, CMH is right, dont skimp on it, its the foundation prety much of your rig.

I agree fully and already know the benefits of a top grade motherboard. All the other parts I know where I'm aiming. It's just that it was a year ago when I was researching and built my own system. I'm trying to help out an old guy i know that I was reluctant into talking out of buying a prebuilt system, I just don't know how anyone doesn't get as excited as me about building their own machine.

Anyway, this guy does general use, mainly aimed at movies rather than games, and is taking some Adobe classes and is interested in designing Flash. I skimped on my vid card because 30 Fps is plenty for me, but would a better vid card help with Flash based applications?

I built around the P5WD2 premium a year ago, and am satisfied, though I only have the 955x northbridge and the ICH7R south.

What are some good, reasonably priced(utility yet quality) Asus boards that utilize the 965 chipset I saw above? Just to help me narrow the search a bit.....

thanks -joe

For mobos, get something with P965, 975X, 680i, 650i, or Crossfire 3200 (only if you want to go crossfire with the new AMD/ATi cards coming out in May). Those are the best intel chipsets.

Thanks to everyone, I'm going to reccommend the the P5B-E, with a midgrade C2D, Kingston or Crucial RAM, Seagate drives, but how high should I go on a vid card?

Like I mentioned this guy wants to design Adobe Flash. Is a very high end card required? I skimped on video when I built my system, but noticed when playing a silly game like Linerider for an hour, my processor will see a bit of a load(more than I'd like for continued use).
Is a load like this typical with Flash? Should I step up my card, or is the problem something else?

thanks -joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back