Coronavirus lockdown causes global emissions to fall

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: The coronavirus outbreak isn’t just affecting people’s lives, it’s also having an impact on the planet—a positive one. As factories close and fewer people use their cars, levels of air pollution and CO2 have been falling in regions across the world.

The effect was first detected by NASA and the European Space Agency, which released satellite images showing a significant reduction in nitrogen dioxide emissions (NO2) in Chinese cities between January and February. NO2 is released by cars, factories, and power plants, and remains close to where it is emitted.

The European Space Agency's Copernicus Sentinel-5P satellite showed northern Italy has also seen reductions in nitrogen dioxide emissions since lockdowns in the region were put in place.

Researchers told the BBC that New York has seen carbon monoxide emissions, which come mainly from cars, reduced by nearly 50 percent compared to last year. Traffic levels are estimated to be down by 35 percent, and there has been a 5 – 10 percent drop in CO2 over the city. Methane emissions are also down.

Even Los Angeles, a city known for its pollution and smog, has seen a drastic improvement in air quality as people stay at home.

With the aviation industry stopping flights, it’s predicted that countries around the world will experience a fall in emissions. "I expect we will have the smallest increase in May to May peak CO2 that we've had in the northern hemisphere since 2009, or even before," said Prof Róisín Commane, from Columbia University, who carried out the New York air monitoring work.

One caveat to the findings is that carbon emissions are expected to increase once the coronavirus situation improves. Following the global financial crash in 2008-2009, emissions shot up by 5 percent as fossil fuel use jumped.

Image credit: Kekyalyaynen via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

The thing about Coronavirus which I find so remarkable is that unlike every other natural disaster, this one attacks us on a human level.

It attacks the very bonds in our organizational structure.

An asteroid, nuclear weapon , tornado, hurricane, terrorist attack...any of those... would destroy our infrastructure but BRING US TOGETHER.

Coronavirus tears us apart - and keeps us apart.

Coronavirus attacks our ability to work. It attacks our ability to produce. It attacks our ability to consume.

It's taken down the Trump economy.

It's taken down the banking industry.

It's taken down the federal reserve.

It took down the New York Stock Exchange.

It took down the Supreme Court.

It took down the airlines.

It took down the cruise industry.

It took down the restaurant industry.

It took down the public schools.

It took down entire countries.

It threatens the elderly.

It threatens the infants.

It threatens anyone with asthma.

It threatens doctors, police,prisoners and anyone who needs to work with other people.

Just one case is enough to cause any institution to be forced to close.

With this virus, you're left asking yourself:

"O LORD - WHAT NEXT?"

Any other disaster would have done 100% of its damage almost immediately.

Coronavirus is like a slow trickle of effects and it's intertwined with everything.

And for people who think that "next time we'll be prepared"...keep in mind that there is no infrstructure you can build that a virus can't defeat.

That's the entire point of a virus.

It's designed to figure out " a way in".

You are the "way in".

This one in particular hides its symptoms by suppressing the immune system until it has spread wide enough in the population and then it can go to work destroying the infected's lungs.

A virus that kills immediately is not a very successful virus.

A Virus that lays dormant for a while and suddenly comes to life andkills up every damn body is a successful virus.

This is Darwinism incarnate.

Unless you understand Darwinism, you can't see this the way I see this.

Right now I'm sitting in my office alone and my employees have done everything they can not to be here.

Preparation isn't about just having toilet paper and food. You have to be mentally prepared.

I am mentally prepared to deal with this, but many of them aren't. Their families aren't. These Generation Z kids aren't.

This is gonna get a hell of a lot worse.

This reminds me of the patient who goes to the hospital to treat a bunion on their big toe and leaves as a brain-dead, trached vegetable with a healed big toe. Success!!!

The thing about Coronavirus which I find so remarkable is that unlike every other natural disaster, this one attacks us on a human level.

An asteroid, nuclear weapon , tornado, hurricane, terrorist attack...any of those... would destroy our infrastructure but BRING US TOGETHER.

Coronavirus attacks our ability to work. It attacks our ability to produce. It attacks our ability to consume.

It threatens doctors, police,prisoners and anyone who needs to work with other people.

"O LORD - WHAT NEXT?"

Coronavirus is like a slow trickle of effects and it's intertwined with everything.

And for people who think that "next time we'll be prepared"...keep in mind that there is no infrstructure you can build that a virus can't defeat.

You are the "way in".

This one in particular hides its symptoms by suppressing the immune system until it has spread wide enough in the population and then it can go to work destroying the infected's lungs.

A Virus that lays dormant for a while and suddenly comes to life andkills up every damn body is a successful virus.

Right now I'm sitting in my office alone and my employees have done everything they can not to be here.

Preparation isn't about just having toilet paper and food. You have to be mentally prepared.

I am mentally prepared to deal with this, but many of them aren't. Their families aren't. These Generation Z kids aren't.

I think you are over inflating the situation a bit.
The big problem with this pandemic is the speed of the spread, not the lethality.
What I mean by that is imagine 5% of the cases at any given time need hospitalization. 15% of these cases need respiratory help to survive. If the situation is not kept in check and many people get ill at the same time, there won't be enough medical resources (read here doctors, pills and the all important respiratory help devices that are in limited quantity) to treat all this rush of patients. So naturally, many of them will die because they will suffocate. Understand?
This is not much more serious than say flu, but the biggest problem is the max number of people that the healthcare can accomodate. This is why we are advised to stay at home, because like this cases will start to drop and even if there will still be cases, the numbers will be much smaller and more manageable.
As for your entire list of things that are attacked inside us by this virus, all the viruses and many other things attack us in the same way, but we don't give it importance. Drugs, ciggarettes, alcohol, being a mean person, everything can kill you. Also, I would like to invite you to take a look on the same worldometers site and look what is the NUMBER 1 killer. I bet you won't guess it.
It is us, via abortions. In total 8 MILLION lives have been lost in just three months. Coronavirus had killed 8000 people in 3 months. Hope that makes you think for a sec about who is the bad guy in this world.

"O LORD - WHAT NEXT?"

You are the "way in".

QP: None of those things were "taken down". They slowed down greatly, as we have out of caution. When things slowly return to normal, so will everyday life. Going into the future people will have re-learned to use common sense hygiene and wash their hands often. Next year, we'll see fewer flu deaths due to increased awareness of how a virus is transmitted. Don't be so negative. Just be careful, and learn. Also, buy into the markets when things level off as they ALWAYS come back.

If we do this every so often, have a day where we don't realise greenhouse gases, we might find the gases there might reduce on there own.

And the waters in Venice are clear for once - https://www.reuters.com/news/picture/clear-water-flows-through-venice-canals-idUSRTS36MAB

I think the air smells cleaner in our area; it also seems much quieter, too. All welcome changes, IMO, however, I do realize that it will most likely be business as usual once things get back to normal.

"O LORD - WHAT NEXT?"

You are the "way in".

While I do not necessarily agree with everything you say, I think it is amazing how an organism that cannot be seen unaided by the human eye can expose all the gaping (IMO) holes in modern society. If any software program was as fragile as this, it would be taken off the market, or completely rewritten because it would be instantly recognized as unmaintainable.

At most, I have an iota of hope that humanity will try to correct these gaping holes, however, I realize that once this has passed, everyone will go back to pretending there is nothing wrong and not doing anything meaningful about the problems that plague society. Society will go back to doing things the same way and then wonder why nothing is really improving - to paraphrase Einstein.

"O LORD - WHAT NEXT?"

You are the "way in".

Still waiting for it to take out all the Democrats and their media fanatics for flaming this turd out of control. Tens of thousands in the USA, and hundreds of thousands die every year from Influenza, no one bats an eye. Suddenly Coronavirus, which has been around for decades, and everyone freaks!

Still waiting for it to take out all the Democrats and their media fanatics for flaming this turd out of control. Tens of thousands in the USA, and hundreds of thousands die every year from Influenza, no one bats an eye. Suddenly Coronavirus, which has been around for decades, and everyone freaks!

You mispelled: "put Biden into office".
We're gonna take our Trump Welfare checks and donate to Biden's campaign.

QP: None of those things were "taken down". They slowed down greatly, as we have out of caution. When things slowly return to normal, so will everyday life. Going into the future people will have re-learned to use common sense hygiene and wash their hands often. Next year, we'll see fewer flu deaths due to increased awareness of how a virus is transmitted. Don't be so negative. Just be careful, and learn. Also, buy into the markets when things level off as they ALWAYS come back.

I disagree. The Flu and common cold are the worst of all illnesses. Now we get immune and get stronger, but so does it, everytime, it wont go away, it is our nemesis. Old people will die out from this everytime, and their immune systems won't hold up.
As the populations rise so do death tolls, and more old people equals more deaths so I do doubt lower cases / deaths.

Also our societies and capitalism actually do suck on a mass level. They are the forerunners of this problem.

Our society is made of an infrastructure built of lies and BS that only lead to the weight of the worlds problems bringing it down, and that isn't just human issues, but the issues that humans have created to the planets global warming and slowly but picking up speed destruction, as we ourselves follow that burn out not fade away cliche.

See our govt. in the UK for example has closed schools to stop the spread. Stupid. Its a virus that will be caught my many / most, regardless, and self isolation is actually more likely to hit us with a second wave, cause someones gonna be unlucky, get it instantly again, and spread it back out there.
The kids and many adults should have just continued, anyone old, or with a weak immune system should be isolated sure.
Kids should have stayed in school, and herd immunized, but no, don't wanna get blamed if one or two die from a bad decision (not bad but if one dies the media will also turn that into a frenzy like they have overly done so with the virus itself).
Kids being off school leads to parents taking time off work, people not being able to pay rent, and a huge debt of money being thrown at the problem from the government. Money which they don't have which actually no country has, seems everyone is in debt to everyone else, you would think they could write off half of it just by having a chat and cancelling out some invoices either side huh?
There is no cure for this, only tests, and it doesn't really help to test anyone, unless you were keeping it out of hospitals and had to test people coming in for surgery. Which are all cancelled.
GCSE's and Alevels are cancelled. Guessing a students score from the work they have done and then sending them off to get a job, or college, with insufficient teaching.
And yes things will level off and return to a normal, but that is the problem, they will return to this greed infested society, and things won't change. I guarantee you this will happen again and it will be just as shambolic.

I think he is speaking about the damage humans have done to the planet over the last few decades.
(y) (Y)
Greta Thumberg:

How dare you??!! How else will I spend all my free time now?
I would not be surprised if she is actually thinking maybe humanity will learn something from this until she wakes up and realizes humanity will just keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

Back