Corrupt CAB Error Only Happens on Certian Computer !?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HeyAll,

Having a bit of an issue here, was hoping somone has dealt with this before.

Basically, I can sum up into one question-

What could cause a .cab file to show up as corrupt on one machine -
whereas the exact same file works perfectly on another?

The details...

I have 2 computers in question, lets call them -A-, and -B-. I use -A- only for downloading, (so if I inadvertantly download a virus, or do something else that totally F's it up, I can just reinstall windows and start over...), and then I use -B- for everything else. Whenever I download something new, I will test install it on -A- to make sure it's OK, then copy it to -B-, and install it there.

It will install flawlessly on computer -A-, but then when I try to install on computer -B-, using the same installer files, I will get a <corrupt CAB file> error message at some point during the install. (This seems only to occur when dealing with software that installs via a <setup.exe> and a <.cab> file. )

This does not happen with ALL software of the above mentioned type however,
this happens with seemingly totally random software (errors are not only by one manufacturer or program type), and happens whether I burn the installer files to a CD, send them over the LAN, or run them over the LAN.

On a side note...

One thing that I tried that might be a clue- I installed to computer -A-, then tried to install on -B-... Got the error ... Then for some reason, I tried copying the Program Files over from -A- to -B-... They would not run by themselves (told me to reinstall the application), but when I then tried to run the original installer (with the PF directory allready in place), it worked! So WTF does that mean.

I am leaning toward a hardware issue here, but I dont have the money to switch out every piece of hardware one at a time. So I was hoping someone has had this happen and was able to fix it.

Any solutions greatly appreciated.

Do you have an antivirus program on B? Try disabling the real-time scanning.

Obviously, test the RAM and the hard drive(s) on B.

revelin333 said:
One thing that I tried that might be a clue- I installed to computer -A-, then tried to install on -B-... Got the error ... Then for some reason, I tried copying the Program Files over from -A- to -B-... They would not run by themselves (told me to reinstall the application), but when I then tried to run the original installer (with the PF directory allready in place), it worked! So xxx does that mean.
It means there are two major steps in the process of installing:
1) Creating directories and loading files into them
2) Making additions to the registry for all kinds of stuff so windows understands
how to use them (eg extension/application associations)

Were it not for (2), relocating files from system a->b would be just like any
Unix/Linux, eg ftp, rcp

The corruption is occuring in step(1) however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back