Corrupt Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a western digital 320gb (e: ) that I recently purchased and use for storing large files hence its formated to ntfs. And its become corrupt somehow.. its appearantly now raw. I've tried using Active@ Partition Recovery but it says the boot sector is corrupt and cant see anything. I think Bitlord may be responsible for whats happened. I was downloading a file larger than 4gb so I had to save it on my e:. Recently for some unknown reason when bitlord was connected and downloading my modem would drop connection and wouldnt work until I shutdown and then restarted. However not all the files I was downloading were being saved on my 320gb. some where going to my c: drive which is a different harddrive and still working fine.
Thats the only thing I can come up with, except of course a faulty harddrive. and before anyone suggests my returning it, it was bought while I was in sydney and I'm from adelaide, sort of. So if I can find a way to fix it that'd be good.. Any suggestions on some programs I can use to at least try to recover whats left? Thank you!!

you can try
start/run (type in ) cmd
command prompt type
cd c:\windows> type in FIXBOOT and press Enter. Then answer "Y"
theres a lot of file recovery software out there
some better than others
I use filescavenger ,but I also have 2 more as backups as they don't all work the same

how much was on the 320gb drive? it would take over a
day to run most recovery utilitys
I have noticed some drive errors when encountering alloction corruption as a jumbled type of overwrite
or allowing a chkdsk operation to run,sadly, I have noticed chkdsk to cause more errors than fix them,unless I have done the tasking myself
I don't think any dos utility will get back large files
any takes on this,anyone?

Fixed.. sort of.

I managed to find what I think caused it. I had it as a slave on the ide port with my dvd burner. Tried swapping it to master and changing cable positions and its working fine now. Altho I wasn't able to get any data back from it. At least my hard drive works. Thanks for the suggestions they were very helpful! :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back