could these crashes be due to vid card or ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I thought this would be the best place to ask so I will give it a wirl

Lately I have been having a hard time with my computer, it is either freezing or crashing. When Playing BF2 I can get the game loaded up to about 80% till my computer crashes And anytime playing World of Warcraft and the new Fable (have yet to try other games). And, while doing normal desktop activities it will sometimes freeze completely (not even a response while pressing NUM Lock), even though I havent had so much of a problem with that since I updated my Motherboard drivers. Now I wanted to ask to see what feed back I can get since I know computers but not to this level.

My setup:
Gigabyte Motherboard
AMD 3000 XP
5 working fans with good venting
2 hard drives
pioneer dvd burner
Plexor CD burner
ATI X800 Pro AGP
Audigy 2 Platnum
And duel sticks of 512mb mem (forgot name brand)

SO FAR I have taken these steps... RE-formated my hardrive (first time) reinstalled windows, reinstalled Nortons system works. problems continued.

Reformated my hardrive again using more thurough (sorry spelling) method just to be sure. reinstalled windows used avast instead of Nortons (which I like better now) updated motherboard drivers this time and did not update sound card driver this time around for fear that "that" might be the problem. Also installed ATI Tray to monotor heat on the vid card... maxing out around 85 C. All drivers are installed except for cd drives drivers and sound card and I have had less crashes... two on normal desktop applications (getting error though when clossing bittorrent which is not normal comparied to when it was working fine.) and continued crashes when trying to play BF2 (only game I have installed). also I have my game installed on my slave drive rather than my normal drive that windows is installed on, but thats how it was when working normally so... I DONT KNOW... could it be a motherboard problem??

Thanks in anticipation.

-Suna

Edit: Was able to play BF2 on single player for about five minutes before it crashed (which for those who know is less taxing on the computer comparied to the 64 multiplayer mode). Here are the tempatures right before it crashed. (the last one is when i restarted my computer...

03.09.2005 21:28:06 GPU: 77.50, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:07 GPU: 77.25, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:08 GPU: 77.13, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:09 GPU: 77.13, Env: 52.00
03.09.2005 21:28:10 GPU: 76.88, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:11 GPU: 76.63, Env: 52.00
03.09.2005 21:28:12 GPU: 77.13, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:13 GPU: 77.38, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:14 GPU: 77.75, Env: 52.00
03.09.2005 21:28:15 GPU: 77.50, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:16 GPU: 77.88, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:17 GPU: 78.38, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:18 GPU: 78.25, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:19 GPU: 78.88, Env: 52.00
03.09.2005 21:28:20 GPU: 79.88, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:21 GPU: 80.13, Env: 52.00
03.09.2005 21:28:22 GPU: 79.63, Env: 52.00
03.09.2005 21:28:23 GPU: 77.88, Env: 52.00
03.09.2005 21:28:24 GPU: 77.25, Env: 52.00
03.09.2005 21:28:25 GPU: 77.25, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:26 GPU: 76.75, Env: 52.00
03.09.2005 21:28:27 GPU: 77.25, Env: 52.00
03.09.2005 21:28:28 GPU: 77.75, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:29 GPU: 78.38, Env: 52.00
03.09.2005 21:28:30 GPU: 77.13, Env: 53.00
03.09.2005 21:28:31 GPU: 77.13, Env: 52.00
03.09.2005 21:28:32 GPU: 78.00, Env: 52.00
03.09.2005 21:31:19 GPU: 55.13, Env: 46.00

OHHH btw I had a CMOS error a bout 2 days ago after a crash... dont know what that might mean (besides something with the BIOS/MotherBoard).

I have also tested my RAM and and came back 1200+% possitive OK (that was 3 days ago)

-Suna

THANKS FOR ANY HELP and sorry for long post... wanted to be complete :cool:

ANOTHER UPDATE... Dang all this crap happening in one night, jeez.. Sound card/or driver just crashed on me... never happened ever before, could mean something, might not..

sounds like a problem with your board or your power supply. what is the brand, model, and what rating of your power supply.

humm lets see...

Raid Max ATX12v
model : ky - 520ATX

As for rating Im not sure what that means (sorry) so Ill just list off a crap load of whatever info I can find

Set at 115V

I think the rating is 420 watts total or 13.0A at 12v... is that sound somewhat right???

Update: Checked fans all work

Got motherboard monitor and my core temp is avg around 61-61 C and maxs at 65 C while Idle.

While Playing Fable the Motherboard monitor went off because it recieved an alarm since the temp hit abobe 70 C, actually hitting a max at 71 C.

Though Im not to sure what temp these should be at?!?

Also:
Could high temps result in a loss of data??

those temps are high. Not OMG! high...But high enough that they may be the cause of your stabilty issues. When (if ever) have you got the dust out of your case? Run down to radio shack, staples heck almost anywhere you can buy any PC related device, and grab a can of air, and (carefully) blow the dust out. Take not to aim arounf the processor.

Good luck

Sean

BTW- What new fable are you talking about? Has it been released on PC? I am a big fan of the xbox version.

EDIT: If those temps are you CPU temps there high. BUt if they are you G PU Temps, they are fine.

Sean, thank you for your input

I dusted about 2 days ago but ran out of air for the heatsink but the rest of the comp is clean (well except that pesky dust that wont come off unless you wipe.)

BTW did you see my last post about my CPU temp?? or just the ones above??

I opened the case and am now blowing a fan into the computer (is that bad??)
and the GPU is cooler but the CPU is mantained at the same temp

AS for fable.. well its an unreleased version (found on most p2p) untill I can buy the retail version when its offically released.

Suna

I was refering to the temps in your3rd post, which i assume are your CPU temps, (which are to hot.)

I totally missed the PSU issue. Here is what i think on that
a. Raidmax is crap. Bottom of the barrel crap.
b. If you only have 13A on your 12v rail...that isnt going to power much (let alone that power hungry gfx card.)

This is what i would do. Get another can of air, clean that sucker, and really getting around the heatsink/CPU. If that doesnt bring your temps down...you may have to reaplly thermal paste. Not hard per se, just a bit daunting seeming that it is your CPU and all. But try the air first, and post back with the results.

And o yea, I would say take that PSU and god i dont know just use it as art or something. Go out and get a decent PSU, to help the video card issue. (if you need some recomendations let me know)

I wish you luck

Sean

computer malfunction : (

okay.i dont know if i should be posting here but im kinda new at this so bear with me lol...anyways long story..so prepare yourselves... jkk.. okay basically a couple weeks ago I managed to aquire over 70 viruses and a few worms because I didn't have any virus protection.. so an ex ( who happened to be a b/f at the time) wiped my drive, and re-installed a copy of his windows xp home edition on my computer..all seemed to be going well until it was activation time.. everytime i went to activate it, it said that the product key was wrong or incorrect or something to that nature. Now i've spoken to a few microsoft representives and they both said that the code was not working simply because you can only run so many computers using windows xp home and that I should go out and buy another cd. I havent gotten that far yet but as of now windows will not log me in until i activate, a little hard to do when it deosnt activate but thats besides the point.. I am still able to get online only because it gives me a site to microsoft assistence and from there I am able to use the internet. However, obviously i want xp and a desktop and well you get it . My main question is, is this : how do I re-install windows and, do I have to wipe drive first in order to do so? any comments or answers would be greatly appricaited..thanks soo much.. -Deb

mxpx3m said:
okay.i dont know if i should be posting here but im kinda new at this so bear with me lol...anyways long story..so prepare yourselves... jkk.. okay basically a couple weeks ago I managed to aquire over 70 viruses and a few worms because I didn't have any virus protection.. so an ex ( who happened to be a b/f at the time) wiped my drive, and re-installed a copy of his windows xp home edition on my computer..all seemed to be going well until it was activation time.. everytime i went to activate it, it said that the product key was wrong or incorrect or something to that nature. Now i've spoken to a few microsoft representives and they both said that the code was not working simply because you can only run so many computers using windows xp home and that I should go out and buy another cd. I havent gotten that far yet but as of now windows will not log me in until i activate, a little hard to do when it deosnt activate but thats besides the point.. I am still able to get online only because it gives me a site to microsoft assistence and from there I am able to use the internet. However, obviously i want xp and a desktop and well you get it . My main question is, is this : how do I re-install windows and, do I have to wipe drive first in order to do so? any comments or answers would be greatly appricaited..thanks soo much.. -Deb

No, you shouldn't post here, open your own thread instead of taking over this one, which belongs to another for his/her own problem.

BTW, try for some simple clarity in your post content, an example below though another may do it better than I... As I've yet ever actually taken an English class...

-------------------------

okay.i dont know if i should be posting here but im kinda new at this so bear with me lol...anyways long story..so prepare yourselves... jkk..

okay basically a couple weeks ago I managed to aquire over 70 viruses and a few worms because I didn't have any virus protection.. so an ex ( who happened to be a b/f at the time) wiped my drive, and re-installed a copy of his windows xp home edition on my computer..all seemed to be going well until it was activation time.. everytime i went to activate it, it said that the product key was wrong or incorrect or something to that nature.

Now i've spoken to a few microsoft representives and they both said that the code was not working simply because you can only run so many computers using windows xp home and that I should go out and buy another cd. I havent gotten that far yet but as of now windows will not log me in until i activate, a little hard to do when it deosnt activate but thats besides the point.. I am still able to get online only because it gives me a site to microsoft assistence and from there I am able to use the internet.

However, obviously i want xp and a desktop and well you get it . My main question is, is this : how do I re-install windows and, do I have to wipe drive first in order to do so? any comments or answers would be greatly appricaited..thanks soo much.. -Deb

-------------------------

thanks alot... ???? as for the never taking the english class no **** ...it shows...who the **** talks like that..???????? GO BACK HARVARD B*tch!!!!!!!!!!! OH and try aquiring some goddamn people skills... I stated clearly that I wasn't sure if I was posting in the right spot ... soo back off alittle bit ... i'd say be nicer, but that would be a little hypocritical on my part, now wouldn't it....? :haha:

if i was an admin you'd be banned, mxpx3m. nein's posts are alright and i can understand them fine. he took the extra time to help you and instead of appreciating it you went off and insulted him like that. that said:

i've seen/heard of numerous ati products running hot (most notably the radeon 9800gpu), so you might want to check ati's reccomended temp ranges.

Those temperatures are fine for an X800-series GPU. The X800 GPU can peak ~90C and have been rated upto 100C without damage (100C is the defined 'damage' upper peak, so anything about 90C or below is nothing to worry about).

My X850 XT PE runs about 85-88C peak temps, no lockups or problems.
My X800 XT runs about 85-88C peak temps, no lockups or problems.

Now if I understand your post correctly, you CPU is hitting 65C? Alarm shutdown at 70C? That's a bit hot and possibly the source of your problem. I believe 85C is the "damage" zone for that processor, and most run ~42-60C peak depending upon cooling.

Be sure of three things:
1) Your case has proper and adequate ventilation. (i.e. your case fans). It's helpful to create an airflow with your fans; front fans sucking inward/back fans exhausting outwards, for example. This creates a nice airflow to pull cool air in from the front, across the main system core (cpu/memory/agp slot) and exhaust this trapped. hot air out the back of the case.
2) Your CPU cooler is installed correctly and proper for the CPU. Too much thermal grease, faulty thermal tape or improper or improperly installed CPU fan could be the case. Some CPU fans have cabling for thermatically controlled fan speeds or knobs for adjusting the RPM. Inspect your cooler to ensure it's the proper model for your CPU and if it has any RPM adjustment (auto or manual) that may be improperly setup.
3) Power supply can also yield the problem you are experiencing. While a 420W should be adequate for that system, if it's a weak or faulty power supply, it can indeed cause your issues.

Last but not least, you should also try (for testing purposes) disabling various hardware to see/isolate any change in behavior. Any modems, printers or USB devices not needed- chuck them. You can also try disabling these as well as your soundcard in the Device Manager and try playing your games/desktop with them disabled in hopes of isolating a particular faulty component.

Good luck!

There are some known issues with regards to Norton and Audigy soundcards. It is because of this that I have dropped Norton completely and gone to McAfee. Also are you doing any type of OC to your CPU or GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back