Counter-Strike Source Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a retail copy of Half-Life 2 with CS: Source. I read its PC requirements and they match with my computer but I don't know why I get bad lag in both games. In the HL2 single player, it only lags in some spots. But in CS: Source, I have a pure continuous lag. That lag in CS: Source is very very bad. I can't play the game at all with the amount of continuous lag I get.

I wonder what the problem is.

Official Half-Life 2 Box minimum specs:

* Processor: 1.2 GHz Processor
* Graphic card: DirectX 7 level graphics card
* Hard Drive: 4.5 GB
* Memory: 256 MB RAM
* Other: Internet Connection, DVD-ROM Drive.

I have all of those requirements. But im not sure about the DirectX 7 level graphic card. I have an intel graphic card that came with my dell. I am able to play Counter-Strike 1.6 smoothly but not HL2.

I really want to play CS: Source and I hope someone can help.

-Saad

I would update the graphics card most onboard cards will not be able to handle any of the current generation games. There is a significant graphical upgrade from cs 1.6 to cs source and the onboard card mite allow you to play older games but none of the new ones. Try turning down the graphics all the way to the lowest and see if that helps. Otherwise run a stress test on counter strike source and post what the Frames are that it tells you.

Half Life 2 also requires Transform and Lighting support which they neglected to include on the retail box. I don't believe your onboard graphics supports T & L.

you see, the main problem with most Dell computers is that it is hard to find the rite graphic card. Dell computers dont support any graphic card. My computer supports PCI cards and I remember once bought a Nvideo GeForce FX card and it didnt work on my computer.

I was just checking my Graphic Card report and this is what I got.

INTEL(R) EXTREME GRAPHICS REPORT

Report Date: 07/01/2005
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 18:15:02
Driver Version: 6.14.10.3762
Operating System: Windows NT* 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 638 MB
Min. Graphics Memory: 1 MB
Max. Graphics Memory: 64 MB
Graphics Memory in use: 11 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 2392 MHZ
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2562
Device Revision: 1

* Output Devices Connected to Graphics Accelerator *

Active Monitors:1

* Other names and brands are the property of their respective owners.

My graphic card is 64 mb and it says graphics memory in use is 11 MB. Is that a problem? And by the way, for operating system, it says Windows NT. I dont know why it says that but that is wrong. I am running a Windows XP.

Counter Strike Source Lag

Well i know you guys have probably been asked this many times but i can't seem to get the lag on counter strike source to go away and all my settings are as low as they can be and on the stress test i scored 25.52 fps but it seems to still lag if anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

You talking to me sweper? If so, just open up your computer, get the motherboard and stick your video card in the video card slot with patience and care. I never saw the inside of my computer though so I'm not good. Read my sig~

Gigabyte, what Dell model are you using right now? Dells do accept video cards, but the lower end models only support PCI. I learned this the hard way with my Dimension 2400.

If you have an E510 or 5100 series, your computer will support PCI-E. If you've got a 4600, it should support AGP 8x. Generally, the bigger the number, the better.

Your previous experience with an add-on card not working is likely due to not meeting the requirements. Make sure you've got the right interface, power supply, and minimum system requirements. Don't try to plug a 7800 GTX 512MB card into a 5 year old computer with only PCI and a 150 watt power supply.

About the lag. It seems both of you are using onboard graphics. Chipsets like Intel Extreme Graphics steal resources from your computer, so don't be surprised to see weird numbers (like 638 MB or 11 MB of RAM). A stand-alone video card like the ones AkiFuddin recommended will provide their own RAM rather than stealing it from you.

The bottom line is, if you want to run games more smoothly, you're going to need to spend money on a video card. Depending on your budget, the nice folks here at Techspot will be able to help you.

Counter Strike Source Lag

well im not really sure what my pc's specifacations are but i have a HP pavilion A819n and im not sure what graphics card i have bc i dont know how to look that stuff up and i have a DSL for internet connection and speed.....also with couter strike 1.6 my fps was like 74 so im not to sure why it went down so much but again if anyone can help me out it would really help.

For future reference here is a link to HP's site for your PC's specifications. Click here.

You have integrated/onboard graphics which is using up to 64 MB of your 512MB RAM. It's likely your lag is caused by a weak graphics "card" and insufficent RAM. Counter Strike: Source (through Steam) has much higher system requirements than Counter Strike 1.6.

Your HP does not have an AGP or PCI-E graphics card expansion slot. For your system your options are limited to getting a PCI graphics card. While it is better than your onboard graphics, the best PCI graphics cards are not all that terrific. Basically, you are trying to run games on a system that was not designed for games and has limited improvement potential for playing games. Your system will play and record DVDs, CDs, surf the internet and operate most home and office type applications fine. However, you are going to have trouble with high end games.

thank you for your help........so you are saying that i can play the game but since my comp. is not very capable of playing games and a new graphics card would help with the lag, but not very much? also if i were to get this graphics card how much would this set me back$? once again thanks for all your help

counter strike lag

PNY Verto GeForce FX 5500 128MB DDR PCI Graphics Card

Model: VCGFX55PPB

Feel the water and the wind as you traverse treacherous lands. This dual-display 3D graphics card takes gaming to a new level of realism.