countering lag on halo combat evolved..help

Status
Not open for further replies.

meNOname

this is bout as garbage as you can get
dsl service runs halfway down my road and i am on the wrong half of the road..so i am forced to suffer the cruelty of having dial up internet....

i have a dimension 2400 with integrated graphics..halo ping 350-400(on good days and would like to just boot ya)

i got a graphic card and ping dropped to about 300 and i never get kicked...

if i upgraded my ram would it help at all or am i just crazy :giddy:

I don't know about ram, I mean if you got more, it would just make loading the textures easier correct? But would that have anything to do to affect your internet speed?

but isnt it the textures and quality of the game that produce lag?
i mean its hard for the dial u to keep up with all that?
right??
wrong?? i dunno

Me too, I don't really know either. I always thought there were two kinds of lag. One that your computer just can't handle the game, and the other where it's your internet connection, I could be wrong. Someone please help us clarify this whole mess.

Ok, first run a single player game, and then run a multiplayer. See which one has runs faster. Use FRAPS. Google that and download it. It will track how many framer per second. I need to know that to help.

spartanslayer(what a name)....dang i cant ask for any more help
ill get back to you when i download fraps..memebr i am running on dial up
is it possible to get ordinary ping on dial up?

downloaded fraps..went into a random server
map: death island
fraps told me 26,27,28..in that range
then another person came in and it dropped to like 17, 18
he left and another came in and it was bout 22, 23
that what you neeeded?

sry i left that out...i got about 25,26
but when everythign went on at one time...i dropped down to about 11..but then shot right back up to 25
hope i covered it all
thanks for the help

dial up modem not sure what kind..the one that came with my comp..
i have a dimension 2400 with 256mb of RAM..(stock RAM)am i gunna have to be more specific?..im running the crucial.com system scan now

256 mb geforce 5500 graphic card(pci)

system scan gave me nothing..just told me what i shoudl get

Holy Mac! You need more ram! I get better frame rates than you, and I have a 64MB Video Card, and a 733MHz processor and only 356MB of ram. OK, highest priority, get at least 256MB more ram, preferably 1GB total in 2 512MB sticks. That means you would have to throw out the 256MB stick.

Moving on, your low frame rates are partly due your ram, and partly to your modem. There is nothing you can do to fix to modem problem, however upgrading your ram should give you a much better frame rate.

If you are desperate to Online game, you could get satalite internet. However it costs like $200 plus $70 per month. But your PC is worthless without more ram. Get some.

And yeah, I love the name (mine of course)!

thanks man...yeah ill order some asap
satelitte expensive compared to everything else...
mixing and matching?..can i mix my 512 stick with my 256 stick?

or is that not a good idea
thank again

Well, you want to have matching pair, so you can have dual channel. It's about twice as fast. I think you said you had the Dimension 2400, right? If so, here is some compatible ram.

It's about half as cheap as buying direct from Dell, and just as good. I would recomend getting 2 512MB sticks. Make sure they are speed 3200. Here is the stick.

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=F7A521C5A5CA7304

Crucial makes good ram. The total of the ram, plus shipping (to Springfield VA) and tax is 124.57. That will double, triple, or even quadruple your speed, so it's well worth the price. If you have any questions let me know.

PS. Also, putting 256MB and 512MB won't help your performance very much. And if you do get the 512MB sticks, make sure to NOT use the old ram.

alright, i think spartanslayer has cleared up all my RAM questions
no more questions and ill mail you a check for 500 dollars :rolleyes:

thanks again

ps. bout that 500 dollars............... :(

i know this is not my personal topic but its also halo pc lag related too so im lookin for help. i really don't know what the problems is. My DSL connection is ~ 2 Mbps so i get about 225-250 KB/s maxed out on my connection. On FTP, HTTP and Bitorrent, I max out my speeds. But on Halo PC I get packet loss and insane constant lag with ping spikes up to 3000. I know I need more RAM i currently have 1 stick of 512 MB DDR PC3200 RAM and will be upgrading with another identical stick. However, if you know anything about Halo PC, when you lag and get packet loss, there is a little brown box in the bottom right with a red X on it (I called it X-box) and I'll get that often here and there and sometimes even for 10-15 seconds straight. I really don't know what the problem is...if you need more info let me know.

I've had that little box appear before too, and I'm using Comcast (blazing fast)! There is really no way to fix lag withoug a new connection. Make sure that your operating system isn't accessing the internet when you play. Otherwise, you need a new Internet connection. Sorry.

well ive got 768 megs of RAM now, i ordered a rosewill stick 512, i still have gay dial up but since ive upgraded my graphics from garbage integrateed to a 256 mb PCI card and bought that RAM, i dont have the problem of getting kicked out of games...that happened alot with dial up, and my ping stays pretty constant, on a good day around 250....

im used to it, i play quite alot, so i just lead people (more than normal).....but i can bare with it

yeah i did firgure out some things. halo pc displays network lag as many types of lag and i realized that when i close FRAPS and MSN Messenger, it sped up remarkably. My friend has the same ISP and setup and his older computers lag the same way, but his better, newer, one is lag free. Thanks for all your help. Take care :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back