Courrier indésirable (French for "Junk Mail")

Status
Not open for further replies.

VvWolverinevV

So... I did a stupid thing. I installed the French version of Office 2003, thinking that I could later change the language to English. This failed miserably. When I installed the English version over it, most things seemed okay, except for one thing.

The Junk Mail folder in Outlook is still titled "Courrier indésirable." I dealt with it for 4 years, and today I installed Office 2007, thinking my PC would finally be free of French. Alas, Courrier indésirable remains.

Does anyone know how I can change the title of this folder without uninstalling and reinstalling Office?

Use ad and remove to delete the software, selecting all removal choices (It will not remove your documents folder), next, temporarily move all your documents to another folder, then reboot, and use RegClean (from such sites as CNET or MajorGeeks.com) or the free version of CCleaner.
Then defragment the drive, and reboot.
Now reinstall the Office version of your choice.
This usually works for our clients.

Thanks, raybay, but it's just not worth uninstalling and reinstalling. If there's not an easier way, I guess I will just deal with Courrier indésirable until Office 2011 :p

Okay, I decided to reinstall. Now why do I need to temporarily move my documents? Which part of this process will delete the My Documents folder?

raybay said:
Use ad and remove to delete the software, selecting all removal choices (It will not remove your documents folder), next, temporarily move all your documents to another folder, then reboot, and use RegClean (from such sites as CNET or MajorGeeks.com) or the free version of CCleaner.
Then defragment the drive, and reboot.
Now reinstall the Office version of your choice.
This usually works for our clients.
I have followed these instructions exactly, but the Junk Mail folder in Outlook is still titled "Courrier indésirable." I think it may be stored in my Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders data file outlook.pst. After uninstalling and reinstalling, this data file remained unchanged. Is there any way to edit this file manually?

If you are using Outlook 2003 or 2007, you will need to remove the Outlook Profile, then uninstall Outlook or Office, then, run the registry editor again.
Here is a method that will work with Outlook 2003:
Open the Mail Setup dialog box: In Microsoft Windows XP: In Control Panel, double-click User Accounts, and then click Mail. If you are using Control Panel classic view, double-click Mail. In Control Panel, double-click Mail. The Mail module won't appear unless you have Outlook installed and have run Outlook for the first time.
Click Show Profiles, then select the profile (Outlook e-mail profile: A profile is what Outlook uses to remember the e-mail accounts and the settings that tell Outlook where your e-mail is stored.) you want to remove, and then click Remove.
This works for English versions. If it doesn't work for the French version, Microsoft will help you do this without charge by first going to their web site.

I did what I suggested you do, and it worked for me.
But I used a program from www.majorgeeks.com to save all my Outlook and Office and Business Contact Manager files to a separate disc.
The trick with Outlook in any language is to totally remove Office and Outlook... and that is impossible to do without removing every related file, then editing the registry... at least in my experience.
There are paid programs ($29) that save the files and folders better, but I am too cheap.
To test, i did not have the french version, but I do have the Spanish and German versions... I assume they are similar.
There are also several help spots on www.microsoft.com, and if you have access to a book store or a library, these books:
Step by Step: Outlook 2000, and 2003
Take Back your Life: Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
Outlook Cookbook: O'Reilly
Microsoft Outlook Version 2000 Inside Out
Microsoft Outlook Version 2002 Inside Out
New Perspectives: Outlook 2003: New Perspectives. Comprehensive Bonus Edition.
Ouitlook 2007: Inside Out by Sheresh and Boyce
Mastering Microsoft Office: Outlook 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back