Cpu 60 Degrees!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computergeek564

:wave: Hi earlier today i was playing battlefield 2142 speed fan told me that it was 60 degrees :hotbounce with the CPU, my cpu is the Intel 4 HT, is this ok?

im scared that i am destroying the CPU :dead:

please help:grinthumb

C or F

If you mean 60 C,thats too hot.Mine is 24 C or 72 F and OK.
The fan speed Should be over 3000 rpm.
A better fan and heatsink is a good investment.

For a higher-clocked Pentium 4, particularly the prescott core, using stock fans, 60C is completely normal and within acceptable limits. The prescotts using an older fab that is hotter in general, and the stock intel coolers, even from OEMs, are only designed to keep the CPU below its throttling threshold.

After building around 2,000 P4-based machines in 2004 and 2005, I've seen much worse. 60C under load = nothing to worry about at all. They will operate just fine even in the mid 70s. You have a fairly decent margin, and 60C will not damage a P4.

zipperman said:
If you mean 60 C,thats too hot

My Prescott Pentium 4 reaches 60C+ when under load. It was a poor design by Intel that was eventually thrown out.

Heat can pre-maturely age a cpu, although as zipperman suggested, by replacing the heatsink (assuming it came with the cpu or computer), you might help this issue a lot.

Yes i do mean degress C, accordingly to speedfan.

This happens only when i play battlefield 2142 for example.

All fans are working, recently i bought a PCI exhaust and turned the case fan around to blow air in and let the CPU fan take the cold air in and all hot air including hot air from AGP card is sucked from the case and blown out the back.

I have to keep in mind that it is a sony vaio and not a modded computer, which means - not alot of room for new stuff.

It doesn't matter how many posts there are about this subject, apparently people will never understand that the little devices inside the PC case can get hot (100C) without catching fire.

The mainboards and CPUs have had thermal protection measures for ages, by default most will turn off or at least beep if they go over 85C or so.

No, Mic is just saying that you should have done what my signature says: search for a problem before posting about it. No harm done though, I guess :); just remember to google the problem and search the forum for it before posting about it. And 60C under load is nothing to worry about.

Regards :)

Also before people get too impressed with people saying their processor runs at 22C or 24C. That is colder or at than the ambient temperature in most rooms. You can never get colder with just air than the ambient temps. So unless you feel like living in a 60F room, don't expect to see those temps on air under any load.

SNGX1275 said:
Also before people get too impressed with people saying their processor runs at 22C or 24C. That is colder or at than the ambient temperature in most rooms. You can never get colder with just air than the ambient temps. So unless you feel like living in a 60F room, don't expect to see those temps on air under any load.

What are you trying to say ? I'm not trying to impress anyone,just giveing an answer to Computergeek564.

Here are my readings,can't post attachment twice.
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic67936.html

I'm trying to say that when people such as yourself post up temps in that range, that it isn't something they can expect to achieve unless they have a room below those temps. Doesn't matter how awesome your airflow is, you can never get it colder than the room temp without using other methods such as peltiers or evaporative cooling or other creative measures.

I also like to provide a counterargument to the masses that love low temperatures. A vast majority of the times on these forums the people's temps are normal. People that need temps in the 20s are people that are overclocking, and people that fall into that catagory already know all they need to know about temperatures.

I had an Athlon that would run 9C at startup.

Your argument is completely logical, SNG, but i've seen many occurances of CPUs that run cooler than room temperature, especially at rest. Just to humor me - how would you explain that, besides the fact that its thermodynamically impossible? Faulty readers?

Nope, stock heatsink/fan, i'm not really an overclocker so I don't use much of the fancy cooling techniques.

In that particular case I really suspected a bad reader, but temps in the low 20's at startup are not at all uncommon.

foozy said:
i've seen many occurances of CPUs that run cooler than room temperature
regardless of whether you use air cooling or simple water cooling, you can never cool any component below the ambient temp of the air inside and around the case. the general room temperature isn't always the same as the ambient temp directly around the case. this is often true when a PC case is near a window or in the airflow path of an air conditioner, etc.

foozy said:
Faulty readers?
software temp readings (in windows) are almost never accurate. it is not uncommon for software readings to be as much as 10°C-15°C off. the BIOS temp readings are better than in windows, but your CPU is not stressed. the only way to accurately read actual temps is with a physical thermometer. you can use analog or digital (via thermocouple) to read case temps. but only a digital thermometer can be used to read individual component temps (thermocouple must actual touch the component).

cheers :wave:

After starting up my computer after a power failure, I was checking some stuff out in the BIOS, and my CPU temp said like 60C. I think it's stock heatsink/fan; that temp didn't seem to be killing this thing, I've had this one over a year.

KingCody said:
regardless of whether you use air cooling or simple water cooling, you can never cool any component below the ambient temp of the air inside and around the case. the general room temperature isn't always the same as the ambient temp directly around the case. this is often true when a PC case is near a window or in the airflow path of an air conditioner, etc.
*cough* Phase-change, liquid nitrogen... *cough* But then again, I guess these don't count since you mentioned simple water cooling/air cooling.
software temp readings (in windows) are almost never accurate. it is not uncommon for software readings to be as much as 10°C-15°C off. the BIOS temp readings are better than in windows, but your CPU is not stressed. the only way to accurately read actual temps is with a physical thermometer. you can use analog or digital (via thermocouple) to read case temps. but only a digital thermometer can be used to read individual component temps (thermocouple must actual touch the component).

Sorry, I have to disagree here. While a physical reading by you would be best, some times software in windows can be extremely accurate. NVidia's nTune software reads my voltages and temperatures as if from the BIOS. I wouldn't be surprised if it was somehow accessing the BIOS as it can directly read and write most BIOS options from windows.

This is how my old P4 was and still is.. I wouldnt worry too much it'll keep on chuggin for as long as you need it to - chances are.

foozy said:
I had an Athlon that would run 9C at startup.

Your argument is completely logical, SNG, but i've seen many occurances of CPUs that run cooler than room temperature, especially at rest. Just to humor me - how would you explain that, besides the fact that its thermodynamically impossible? Faulty readers?
Early Athlons (thunderbirds) could run up to 100C. What may have happened is the thermocouple that reads temps could be designed to provide accurate readings at 50C and up, the lower the temp the higher margin of error.

Thermocouples aren't accurate over a range of all temperatures, they have specific ranges in which they provide accurate numbers, outside of those ranges they can be off quite a bit depending on the quality and type.

So that could be an explanation, or a reading error. But it is thermodynamically impossible for the temperature to be lower than ambient on air cooling to happen.

agi_shi said:
KingCody said:
regardless of whether you use air cooling or simple water cooling, you can never cool any component below the ambient temp of the air inside and around the case
*cough* Phase-change, liquid nitrogen... *cough* But then again, I guess these don't count since you mentioned simple water cooling/air cooling
phase change and liquid nitrogen are extreme cooling methods... neither one of which is an air or water cooling method. so i'm not sure what all your coughing is for, try some Robitussin ;)

what I meant by "simple water cooling" is a standard closed circuit system (pump, waterblock, radiator*, reservoir*, and tubing [*=optional]). there are of corse other, more elaborate (in other words... not simple ;)) methods of water cooling that can yield below-ambient temps such as evaporative (or bong) water cooling, or adding a TEC/peltier or water chiller to the system. while those more complex watercooling methods may allow sub-ambient temps, they all have side effects that must be dealt with and require more maintenance that a simple closed circuit system does.

Yes, but not all programs are as accurate as nTune, say maybe Speedfan or other things.

KingCody said:
phase change and liquid nitrogen are extreme cooling methods... neither one of which is an air or water cooling method. so i'm not sure what all your coughing is for, try some Robitussin ;)

what I meant by "simple water cooling" is a standard closed circuit system (pump, waterblock, radiator*, reservoir*, and tubing [*=optional]). there are of corse other, more elaborate (in other words... not simple ;)) methods of water cooling that can yield below-ambient temps such as evaporative (or bong) water cooling, or adding a TEC/peltier or water chiller to the system. while those more complex watercooling methods may allow sub-ambient temps, they all have side effects that must be dealt with and require more maintenance that a simple closed circuit system does.

In reality I'm not feeling too well, so I might just go get some Robitussin. But I did say this:
But then again, I guess these don't count since you mentioned simple water cooling/air cooling
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back